My great "idea"

Started by
39 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 10 months ago
Before I begin to explain my "idea" I want to point out this post is only the simple basis behind the whole game, so don't get too worked up. the map is earth, the setting is 1500-1700 AD, the reason behind this time frame; This is where the world discovered more areas, more cultures, and more ideas than any other time period. The states are being formed, revolution is going on in Europe, exploration is at its peak, traveling is an adventure in its self. Now to make it exciting, every culture has their myths and legends. Lets bring all of them to life? Dragons are included in almost all cultures, spirits, undead, mighty creatures are all read about. Now try not to get worked up yet, this is just a crumb of what the game is all about. You start off in a starting area, main cities that stretch across the globe, and the main idea is to travel, learn culture, learn new skills. Without air travel or teleportation traveling city to city will require skills and motives, which will be explained later. From a developing stand point I'd like feed back from you all but lets keep it simple for now. I'll keep adding to it little by little, so again, don't get worked up and dont get too far ahead of me. I have alot more on the way Jook
Advertisement
It sounds like your average medieval game (Morrowind), except it takes place on earth. It could surely be successful, but you haven't really explained anything that I've not experienced in several games already.

Maybe provide more detail? I'm not sure how you will get much in terms of useful suggestions until we have something to yell about.

I like the mention of culture, since it's usually very hidden in everything except the visual appearance of buildings and clothing in most games. What would the player have to learn about new cultures that would be important to the game?
It seems that you're not really setting it on Earth, but rather on some kind of alternate Earth where all the legends are true. I think the time frame is a bit limiting. Why not just make a world that's built like Earth, geographically, but each region is the mythological equivalent of itself?

If you go to Greece, you'll find Agamemnon and Heracles hanging out together. In Baghdad, Haroun al'Raschid will be punishing Djinnies for forsaking the laws of Solomon. In North America, various animal totems will be passing wisdom to mankind. In Africa, the sun and wind will fight to see who gets to ravage the Sahara first. In Australia, the ancients will dream new places in and out of existence at will. In China, Zhou Yun will rescue Liu Bei's heir. In Europe, Roland will ride forever against Saladin's hordes (who will have nothing do do with the actual Muslim empire in the game).

Different regions will have different characteristics, and your adventurer will learn different things in each locale. It could be a very large, compelling world.
I always liked the idea of non-player controlled transportation in a world. perhaps the player needs to hitch a ride on a ship going from england to china, he can buy a ticket, smuggle aboard,or go the overland route. An adventure like around the world in 80 days.

This would reqire simulations for train, ship, systems spanning an entire world. Time should also move with day/night cycles to give importance to schedules.
---------------Magic is real, unless declared integer.- the collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt
your both right, Iron Chef Carnage you hit the obvious there. That time frame is all but limiting though. Whos says we can't keep the time frame moving, thinking for in the future we can move it up a couple 100 years, would almost be a new game. Also our world has more myths and legends than we can create. yapposai thats exactly what I was thinking too gotta include weather, the sea can be stormy at times. Jiia morrowind won't touch this game, i'll give some big details soon, just hold tight and get ready for this is going to be interesting.

Jook
Just curiouse, whould Britan have miths and legends? or would there just be continental locations? It may be worth concidering whats going on there there are no myths or legends going on? But i like the idea of the game, I'd play it. :)
Stonehedge... and I believe the vikings had their stay there.
Quote:Original post by wardrox
Just curiouse, whould Britan have miths and legends? or would there just be continental locations? It may be worth concidering whats going on there there are no myths or legends going on? But i like the idea of the game, I'd play it. :)

I thought Tolkien fixed that [wink]

I'm not so great with time periods. You could have some Christian saints who were in the area. Roman or Celtic mythology would also be possibilities.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:Original post by wardrox

I thought Tolkien fixed that [wink]

I'm not so great with time periods. You could have some Christian saints who were in the area. Roman or Celtic mythology would also be possibilities.

Don't forget the Arthurian legends. Lots of room there for interesting things to happen.
There are plenty of myths and legends in britian, some are arguably true but thats not the big picture. I'll list the locations of the starting areas of the world and you guys tell me what you think.

Colonial americans is in my maybe pile, let me know what you think about starting in a colony in the americas

Native Americans,bow and arrows and such, could get a cowboys and indians game going in the future of the game

Brazilian Natives, lots of good music and martial arts are involved and dont forget the amazon and the lost temples down that way

African Tribe, lots of interest in africa

Europeans, I don't think we need a starting area from each country, would get too complicated but maybe there could more than 1 place to start in this small area.

MiddleEastern, Arabian princes and deserts

India, lots of knowledge and customs, ever ride an elephant?

Asian, can you say ninja? probably thousands of dif. martial arts styles to choose from.

Russian, wrestling brutes, is that stereotypical enough?

Now the cool part about this, theres so much we can change here, let me know if there should be some cultures I didn't include and some needed to be taken away.

There is no austrailia starting point, I think we should save a couple continents for a higher tier, which includes antartica too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement