My great "idea"

Started by
39 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 9 months ago
So how's this exeptionally grand idea actually going to be implimented?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by jdi
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:Original post by wardrox
Just curiouse, whould Britan have miths and legends? or would there just be continental locations? It may be worth concidering whats going on there there are no myths or legends going on? But i like the idea of the game, I'd play it. :)

I thought Tolkien fixed that [wink]

I'm not so great with time periods. You could have some Christian saints who were in the area. Roman or Celtic mythology would also be possibilities.

Don't forget the Arthurian legends. Lots of room there for interesting things to happen.

Cmon, what about St George and the dragon?
Telastyn don't get ahead of me here, it will all come together in due time. If I were to post everything at once it would get confusing and I wouldnt be able to answer questions fast enough lol, So what do you think thus far? pretty cool idea to bring a mmorpg game on earth with real cities, culture, and real people. Well, as far as people go, I'm not sure if we should include major political and religiouse leaders? Don't wanna have deal with catholics when a raid goes and kills the pope in a game.;)

Jook
I mean i was going to say, the problem with this is the moral and ethical dilemas.

Ethnic cleansing, world domination, breaching the line between video games and real life...all sorts of things
[email=wastedhours@gmail.com]-steve[/email]_______________________Freelance Game Journalist / Designer / Occasional Game Developer[GamingHours.com] [RandomlyAccessed]
Quote:
So what do you think thus far?

I think the idea is far too grand to be implimented well by a large experienced team. I think that you likely have neither a large, nor experienced team. I also think you've very little idea about how to technically impliment many of the ideas you have, which will lead to a great amount of problems when it actually comes to making this game.

Oh, and I don't think the idea is very great, nor very fun. It kind of sounds like Lionheart's idea, which was far more interesting [imo]. Though that game was one of the worst games in recent memory. A good example of what happens when a story idea outrides its implimentors.
If you ever make this game, will you put Cthulhu in it as well?
Quote:Original post by yapposai
I always liked the idea of non-player controlled transportation in a world. perhaps the player needs to hitch a ride on a ship going from england to china, he can buy a ticket, smuggle aboard,or go the overland route. An adventure like around the world in 80 days.

This would reqire simulations for train, ship, systems spanning an entire world. Time should also move with day/night cycles to give importance to schedules.

For some reason I like that idea too, but it must not be too strict, to limit the player too much.
Hm, so far this idea sounds like: "Let's take the whole real world and put it in a game. Oh, and the real world's legends too". Yes, we already know that if we put the whole earth in the server would make a kickass MMORPG(maybe). What we don't know is how to do that.

What I was expecting to hear was some innovatives in gameplay or atleast a unique, coherent theme and story. This is various elements from the world's history throwed in together. The point of a MMORPG is that you set up a theme and a basic background story and let the world and the players evolve. If this game is a "copy" of the real world's history including its legends, where's the point? You said, for instance, that in that period a lot of things happened in Europe. When exactly will the French Revolution for example happen in the server? Who exactly will carry it out? NPCs? And the players will just stand there and watch? And then what? For instance:

Quote:
...in Baghdad, Haroun al'Raschid will be punishing Djinnies for forsaking the laws of Solomon

When exactly will that happen? In the server, will Raschid be eternally punishing Djinnies? Will it happen once and then the history will progress to the next fixed milestone? And again, where's the player's role in all that? In the game, what facts happened that lead the NPC Haroun al'Raschid to punish the Djinnies?
Well I agree with what you say spacemonkeystudios, that’s why I made the comment about the pope. I have a solution though, ther's no real way to get around the mentally ill people who take a game too seriously but if we include myths and legends and exclude some of the events and people in the world. We may be able to slim the controversy down and, like allot of games, implement statements and agreements that tell people its a game, its not real so don't kill yourself over it.

Telastyn need to chill out, you haven't even heard any of the technical information, in fact, I stated that at the beginning of the first post. You don't think its a good idea and that’s fine. I'll still feed more information. So far, We have earth, starting points, and allot of story lines going through your heads. Make a picture of it in your head, Pick your starting race, lets say you start out as a tribesman in Africa, your training to be a mighty warrior or a great shaman. A strange looking man speaks of a great temple over the horizon that holds a mystery long lost. From there you could go a million ways, such a simple story line here. To make a long story short, you traveled to Europe, found out what a gun is, you make it over to Asia and learn karate. Understand it from that angle? Now the game will be more interesting than that simple story but I just want to get you guys in the same mind set as me.

So, does anyone ahve anything to say about the races you start as? changes needed to be made? or is it a fairly good start?

Jook

Quote:Original post by Jook
To make a long story short, you traveled to Europe, found out what a gun is, you make it over to Asia and learn karate. Understand it from that angle?

Did I get a gun in Europe? If so, I probably wouldn't bother learning karate unless ammunition was in short supply.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement