Sign in to follow this  
justinrwalsh

C++ default parameter questions

Well here it is. i know this is valid code...
int myFunc(int i=400, int j=2);
so the quesion lies in something kinda like this but in a class... So basically here is what i am trying...

class SuperDuper  {
public:

SuperDuper(void);
void TheSpecialFunction(int myVal=protectedVal);

protected:

int protectedVal;
int myOtherValue;
int superLongNameForAnInteger;
};
It doesn't work. See i have this function called SetVelociy(x,y) and what if the user doesnt want to change the velocity of the x just they y? i could always make it two seperate functions, but is there a way to just except nothing passed to the x, but still change the y? do i mkae any sorts of sense? please, any input is welcome!

You can do it for class methods in the same way as you do for functions.

class Foo {
public:
Foo( int x = 100 );
void doStuff( int x = 200, int y = 300 );
};

Foo::Foo( int x ) { // No default values here!
// Stuff
}

int Foo::doStuff( int x, int y ) { // No default values here!
// Other stuff
}

[Edit]
About your other question: No, you can't change the y and not change the x. Like in doStuff, default values fill from right to left, so to set y you must set x.

I would suggest you just go with separate methods, a lot less headache that way :) If you try to just set the y-value in a function like that, it won't work, as the parameter types are the same and x comes first in the parameter listing, it will be assumed to be the value passed. As for using a member variable as default value, AFAIK only constants are allowed as the compiler replaces the function call when using default parameters, and not the function itself. So calling a function defined as int func( int val = 0 ); with int var = func(); would simple be converted into int var = func( 0 ); Hope that helped :)

Quote:
Original post by justinrwalsh
Well here it is.

i know this is valid code...

int myFunc(int i=400, int j=2);

so the quesion lies in something kinda like this but in a class...

So basically here is what i am trying...

class SuperDuper {
public:

SuperDuper(void);
void TheSpecialFunction(int myVal=protectedVal);

protected:

int protectedVal;
int myOtherValue;
int superLongNameForAnInteger;
};

It doesn't work.

See i have this function called SetVelociy(x,y) and what if the user doesnt want to change the velocity of the x just they y? i could always make it two seperate functions, but is there a way to just except nothing passed to the x, but still change the y?

do i mkae any sorts of sense?

please, any input is welcome!

Default parameter values must be constant, the protectedVal you try to use is a non-constant member variable and thus cannot be used for that. If you wish to provide functionality to not change the protectedVal I would suggest using method overloading, which is, in many cases, a wonderfully clean way to provide versatile functionality. Implement in lieu with:

void TheSpecialFunction() { TheSpecialFunction(protectedVal); }
void TheSpecialFunction(int someValue);

Neat. Pretty. Good.