Setting up a Code Respository on Webspace

Started by
4 comments, last by Aly 18 years, 10 months ago
I have Subversion setup on a localhost machine, while its nearly almost on, from time to time it can go down. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with setting up A repository on purchased webspace. Basically I was looking into buying about 2gigs of webspace from a provider. Uploading all the code to there. And setting up a Repository from there. I know that Subversion needs Apache 2.0 work (I will assume its apache 1.3 and that I have no access to the servers OS) So if anyone knows of any Respository system that can work on webspace (I can get SSH enabled). It will have any amount of MYSQL Databases, support php, perl etc. I wouldnt even my a primitive php based system or something that is slow, once I know the code is always there. So anyone have any suggestions.
Advertisement
Subversion does not require apache (link). It does use the apache portable runtime IIRC, but it ships with that code and it's pretty much just another library. Running the repository over apache gives you some nice stuff like online browsing and finer access controls which you won't get, but you can run subversion over an ssh tunnel much like CVS.
So if I place all my code on the webspace. Setup SSH for the webspace, I should be capable of using either CVS, or Subversion provided its setup correctly?

Hmmmm, best look into getting SSH on the space then.

Cheers
Uhmn - you still need the subversion server...

Put it this way - you to convince your host to install either svnserve (the stand alone server) or mod_dav_svn (the Apache module) on the server. The chances are that your hosting does not support this.

You'll need hosting that allows you to install software and such ("dedicated" hosting of some description). Regular hosting won't do. There is no PHP or Perl (or MySQL for that matter) implementation of subversion.

I would recomend just using your own local server unless you have a specific need to do otherwise. It's probably eaiser to improve the uptime of that.
You have two possibilities:
* CVSDude - dedicated CVS/SVN servers
* A hosting provider that gives you root access, such as Linode

I use the latter. I really like it, but setting up a Linux server can be very time-consuming initially (mail/www/svn).
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
Quote:Original post by Andrew Russell
Uhmn - you still need the subversion server...

Put it this way - you to convince your host to install either svnserve (the stand alone server) or mod_dav_svn (the Apache module) on the server. The chances are that your hosting does not support this.

For svn+ssh you need svnserve but it does not have to be listening, nor does it have to be installed system wide. Setting up CVS can be done in a similar manner.

All of this will take more time, and some of it can be quite annoying.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement