Sign in to follow this  
GDMichael

How to apply 3D Game Map to game?

Dear All, I am the beginner. I want to ask some questions. If I use 3D Max to do a 3D Map or Scene, How can I apply it to my game? Here is my idea: 1. Use 3D Max to generate a 3D Map or Scene, such as wall, door, floor and so on. 2. Export to a .x file. 3. Use DirectX to read the .x file. But as I know, as the game development, the whole scene or map is not fully generated by 3d max, they use the program to produce some editor such as scene or map editor and than use them to generate the file, am I correct? How can I do that if I use editor to generate the 3d scene? It seems not much easy to find the example or source code about 3d map editor. Also, I cannot easy to find the tutorial or article about how to produce a 3d scene or editor using 3D max and 3d editor. I hope you can help me or provide any refernce link. Thx

Quote:
Original post by GDMichael
the whole scene or map is not fully generated by 3d max, they use the program to produce some editor such as scene or map editor and than use them to generate the file, am I correct?

It is very common to find that the individuals objects are authored in a 3D modelling program (e.g. 3DSMax) and then composed together using a seperate editor. Whilst that is common, it is by no means a rule - if you want to do it differently, thats fine [smile]

The advantage of authoring individual objects and then composing them in another editor is often one of available information. It often makes it much easier for a computer program to operate on - it's already divided up into "bitesize chunks" that fit well with a lot of algorithms, and it can aid a lot of re-use (even inside of one level). If you have 25 tables in your level, then authoring 1 table and making 25 instances of the same data is much easier than having 25 identical form but different instance tables...

Quote:
Original post by GDMichael
It seems not much easy to find the example or source code about 3d map editor. Also, I cannot easy to find the tutorial or article about how to produce a 3d scene or editor using 3D max and 3d editor.

I dont' know of any tutorials for this sort of thing, but it doesn't surprise me that you can't find many. An editor is often very specific to the game (+engine) that it creates maps for, and as such it's difficult to describe a "generic" map editor that's actually going to be useful.

You might well find that looking at some of the freely available world editors for commercial games will give you some ideas though.

hth
Jack