Sign in to follow this  
TechnoGoth

A story without the Journey.

Is the journey aspect nessary to a games story? Is it possible to have an interesting game and story that takes place in one location? How would you go about doing this, without making the game a sim? What kind of game and story could you have the took place entirely in a bar for instance?

Well, it is my opinion that location helps keep players interested. It would be difficult to have an 80 hour RPG that took place in a bar...but I could see a much smaller game taking place at a bar. Eventually, players get bored of seeing the same place...so maybe if the bar changes, and has different rooms, then you could keep the player interested longer.

I could have sworn there was a game that took place entirely in an intergalactic bar! Can't remember the name, though.

Technically speaking, I think you have the same challenge as a sitcom or drama. Many have multiple sets simply to avoid eye fatigue.

But you certainly could have gameplay consist of just being in a bar if you frame the events around it to be interesting. That, funny enough, requires writing a good story filled with interesting challenges and interactions set in a bar. [grin] (i.e., the worldbuilding begets the gameplay suggestions... be it slinging drinks as in an arcade game or winning dart competitions or choosing which barfly to romance... and that's just sticking with being human...)

You could have one setting that changes over time. Harvest Moon is a rather simlike RPG but the same tricks could be used in a non-sim RPG: changing seasons, and plants and buildings that get built up or deteriorate over time.

I hope I'm not going to write something that will sound ugly, but :does anyone know what a "huis-clos" is? I am not sure the same term exists in English...

What about a cross game between a dating sim and a survival horror? Strange combination, I hear you say? Not that much. Think about it. You are trapped in a padded room, like in the beginning of Silent Hill 3, I think. You start by exploring your room, 3*3m, padded, blood stains on the cement floor and on the padding, some threads unravel, a cockroach in the far corner, a naked bulb, a tap with some water trickling under the door. A metallic and bolted door, scrubbed shiny. A hole as a privy. Harsh light. Not much to do in it.

Then comes your jailer. And ALL the game consists in you trying to make him or her come in your cell, and trying to defeat him in order to escape. You have to argue your way through. I will admit that eye fatigue would come rather quickly, but I guess it would make a formidable game, if it was handled carefully. A psycho-thriller as a game. A sort of interactive horror movie, like Ring, or maybe taking the place of the senator's daughter in "silence of the lambs"...

The sound effects and the ambiance should be made terribly well, but since there wouldn't be much in the way of special effects, it wouldn't cost much, in comparison to other games... Wouldn't have the same return on investment, though...

Quote:
Original post by Fournicolas

Strange combination, I hear you say? Not that much. Think about it. You are trapped in a padded room, like in the beginning of Silent Hill 3, I think. You start by exploring your room, 3*3m, padded, blood stains on the cement floor and on the padding,

Or a puzzle-based game where you are held in a room full of traps by a psycho, there is a way out but it won't be nice. And when you get out you find yourself trapped in another puzzle. (Saw has a similar premise). This could work as a flash game like Hapland.