Sign in to follow this  
Shashi

Stencil buffer without hardware

Do I need a proper gfx card to use the stencil buffer? Or does OGL create a software stencil buffer? In the latter case, something's wrong with my shadow volume code...

Pretty sure it's always been in the spec, so if it's GL compliant it should have stencil. Check the spec to be sure, and you'll probably find a token to pass glGetInteger that'll give you some info.

What about if you don't have an actual gfx card? I'm using the one integrated into my motherboard, which is pretty damn slow anyway..

Most software implementations are likely to have a stencil buffer, but if your gfx adapter doesn't support it, then you can't use it with your hw. Specifying framebuffer properties, such as number of bits per color channels, wether or not to have depth buffer, stencil buffer or others, is outside the scope of the actual OGL-spec. On windows you have WGL for that and on X-windows GLX.

You'd be best off just to buy some cheap gfx card (if your motherboard has AGP), as the performance of software ogl implementations are appalling compared even to the worst 3d accelerators on sale.