Question

Started by
3 comments, last by Cambo_frog 18 years, 9 months ago
What is the easiest way to implement these two things into my game: A combobox displaying some strings so the user can select one A box popping up so the user can input a string Those are the only two things I need.
There are some things so stupid that only an intellect could believe them.
Advertisement
That's a fairly good question. Unfortunately, without details it is hard to have a fairly good answer. What are the requirement for theses dialogs/controls? Is your game using a renderer or is it pure Win32? Have you anything that looks like GUI code in your game? And so on.

A simple way should be to find a decent game GUI library and to use the components you need. ANother way is to code these by yourself (it is not difficult). A thirs way is to pay me to do it.

As you ee, there are many answers :)

Regards,
Like I told you, check out CEGUI

or

Take a look at wxWidgets.
The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Oh Shuddup JR. ;)

Anyways, the requirements are simple. I'm loading some strings from a file, and I want the combo box to display them. Also, I just want a little window or something to pop up prompting the user to input a string. I just need string input from the user for when they enter their character's name. I'm using D3D for my renderer, and I have no GUI code, nor do I know where to start to make my own. I'm not interested in learning how to make a GUI system right now, there's other more important stuff I need to learn.

The thing is, is that Crazy Eddie's GUI has like no tutorials or anything to learn from and get started.
There are some things so stupid that only an intellect could believe them.
Quote:Original post by POLSKASH
Oh Shuddup JR. ;)

Anyways, the requirements are simple. I'm loading some strings from a file, and I want the combo box to display them. Also, I just want a little window or something to pop up prompting the user to input a string. I just need string input from the user for when they enter their character's name. I'm using D3D for my renderer, and I have no GUI code, nor do I know where to start to make my own. I'm not interested in learning how to make a GUI system right now, there's other more important stuff I need to learn.

The thing is, is that Crazy Eddie's GUI has like no tutorials or anything to learn from and get started.

There are GUI components in the latest DirectX SDK.
CDXUTComboBox and CDXUTEditBox are the classes you require.
For an example of use, see the "CustomUI" sample in the SDK.

If you have any specific questions regarding these classes then you would probably be best posting them in the DirectX forum.

HTH,
Cambo_frog
For the love of god, please tell me that you've just omitted your error checking code for brevity, and you don't really assume that all those functions succeed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement