graphic technology question

Started by
31 comments, last by d000hg 18 years, 9 months ago
hi there. well, as i'm thinking to compete in this contest, the first questions after a quick research on the technologies available, i want to ask a question: do u have any idea how a geforce2 GPU is like? which are it's capabilities, what kind of shaders does it support (i guess pixel shader 1.0, but what about opengl? does it support opengl 1.4 (that's it GLSL 1.0) or just vertex and fragment program extensions). Which is the tris/second rate? or do you have any link to some specific document? For example, if i'll use ogre3d, how well it would perform on such a video card, since if i'm making an ogre3d tutorial about shadows i find myself at 40 fps on a x800 xt video card. Please feel free to post anything interesting about this quite old technologies(i've jumped directly from riva tnt to radeon, so i missed the geforce2's glory :))
Advertisement
GeForce 2s do not support any DirectX pixel shaders. However they support vertex shaders in both OpenGL and DirectX (but software emulated - it's still quite quick though). On OpenGL they support basic Register Combiners which allow you to do some basic pixel shader-type stuff. Standard OpenGL texture combiners (combine, dot3, etc) are also supported.
Don't worry about requiring a GeForce 2. The contest page will likely change as we're starting to narrow down the range of hardware requirements to a more specific standard.

Admin for GameDev.net.

hi. thanks for info. well, then if it will change, i'm not going to think on this anymore, but concentrate on game design. thanks a lot.
Can we assume vertex and pixel shader 2.0 support?
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
Quote:Original post by skittleo

No. Only version 1.1.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

If we include special effects that require 2.0, but also have a fallback to 1.1 if 2 is unavailable, will the judges still see the effects? I mean, will the judges test our games on multiple hardware configurations, including the newer graphics cards?

Also, will we be disqualified if we raise the minimum requirements or just a penalty when being judged?

Maybe this is a little presumptuous, but I would really like to take advantage of version 2.0 pixel shaders for special effects.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
Feel free to implement higher shader versions so long as you provide the fallbacks. Make sure you mention that your game supports higher graphics capabilities, and we'll do our best to get a capable machine for it (no promises though).

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by superpig
Quote:Original post by skittleo

No. Only version 1.1.

That's a bit unfair though for OpenGL devvers, the limit is too low. DirectX minimum requirement is 9.0, and for OpenGL is 1.1,ie unextended(not even multitexturing,heck not even clamp_to_edge modes). What's the harm in just setting the minimum hardware to GF2 and the ATI equivalent?
hi. well, i'm agreeing with mikeman. this is pretty unfair because i love doing graphics in opengl and don't have any idea about directx graphics(never touched it,because i always thought opengl is simpler). This limitation makes me to think more and more about a middle-ware, like ogre ore crystal space. I think ogre uses some simple shaders written in CG, and that's all. don't need to bother anymore about what is available and what is not, and focus more on the game design.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement