standalone .exe and d3dx9_26.dll...

Started by
7 comments, last by mdias 18 years, 10 months ago
My app uses D3DX function calls, and I need to use the June 2005 release of DirectX. My problem is this (and there may be a simple answer here), I don't want to use an installer of any kind (hence the 'standalone'), but the app will not run unless it can find 'd3dx9_26.dll'. I can include the .dll with a download, but this bumps the download up ~1.5MB, and, there are different versions of the same .dll for 32bit processing and 64bit processing. How do I give the app access to the right .dll without a quasi-DX install? Also, a normal end-user installation of DX9.0c does not install 'd3dx9_26.dll' anywhere useful (I know, I tried twice today). I am a bit stuck here and any guidance would be gratefully recieved. Thanks.
"Segregation or Supernova? YOUR MOVE..." - The Holy Ghost
Advertisement
Have a look at this thread. (You'll have to read through a large chunk of it.)

The folks at MS are aware of the issue and are working on it.
Thanks Dave... why the DX installer doesn't install the D3DX .dll, I don't know.
Quote:Original post by LemonLime
Thanks Dave... why the DX installer doesn't install the D3DX .dll, I don't know.

You're welcome.

The D3DX library is an SDK item, not a user-level one. It used to be a static library, so there was no need to distribute it to the user. In the later releases of the SDK, it was moved to a dll. Since the user-install of DX hasn't been updated since the lib moved to a dll, there is no way for it to install the dll. The redist packages included with the SDK are based on the user-level DX, so they don't (currently) have the dll, either.
Thanks again... it sounds like I'm going to have to wait for a coherent policy from MS, and recompile, before I go to release.
Just include the DLL in your bin folder. It'll look for the DLL locally before it looks in \windows\system32, so as long as the dll is deployed with your app you'd be fine.
3DMUVE is an amateur game development team, and the designer and developer of a new gaming technology “MUVE” for the gaming industry.
Quote:Original post by QuadMV
Just include the DLL in your bin folder. It'll look for the DLL locally before it looks in \windows\system32, so as long as the dll is deployed with your app you'd be fine.

It is (was?) illegal to redistribute those DLLs with your application.
But according to this page D3DX runtime DLLs are now distributed with the latest release of DirectX.
The page I mensioned also has an installer for only thos D3DX DLLs missing in earlier releases.
Is the .dll online at MS?
if so cant you just link it in your installation so that it installs straight from MS and into the correct spot? seems like that would be the easiest way to get around the legal and around making a huge install for those who are up to date.
Quote:Original post by sinrtb
Is the .dll online at MS?
if so cant you just link it in your installation so that it installs straight from MS and into the correct spot? seems like that would be the easiest way to get around the legal and around making a huge install for those who are up to date.

I couldn't find the instalation file anywhere on MS, but I found a manual on how to "build your own" installer for this files. The manual is here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement