Lightweight HTML Renderer?

Started by
8 comments, last by mengha 18 years, 9 months ago
I'm working with C# and I would like a control that can render simple HTML (text formatting, font attributes, images, and hyperlinks). I plan on using this control to add inline help to game (maybe as a side window or something). In the past I have used RichEdit for this, but the formatting strings is a nonintuitive verbose pain in the ass. Also I don't know how to dynamically insert images into a RichEdit control. I know some people use the IE control for this, but I don't want my final application to have any dependence on IE. Also I find the IE control unwieldy. I just want something simple. And free. Open source is a plus. I have googled around a little bit, but I have learned that a lot of HTML renderers are kind of flakey, so I was hoping that someone here has used a good one and could recommend. Regards

Shedletsky's Bits: A Blog | ROBLOX | Twitter
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea...

Advertisement
Ive looked for this in the past and came up empty each time, would be interesting to know if there is anything new out there.
Whatever you do, don't find the stolen source code for the HL2 engine and use their in-game HTML renderer code...that would be wrong.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Whatever you do, don't find the stolen source code for the HL2 engine and use their in-game HTML renderer code...that would be wrong.

HL2 is written in C# ?

Re-read the OP's post.
Quote:Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

HL2 is written in C# ?

Re-read the OP's post.

neither is the rich edit ctrl or the IE control and he said that's he's considered using both. He only mentioned that the app was in C#. No mention was made of needing the renderer to be in C#:)

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
Dunno about lightweight but it is very comprehensive: Gecko

edit: See Gecko Embedding Basics
One possible solution I found

It doesn't look like it's going to be easy to use from C#, though. I was hoping for a general purpose fancy text + graphics display option, but now it looks like I'm going to have to hack up something application specific.

:-(

For my IM client, I wanted something along the same lines. I ended up writing an HTML parser using Boost.Spirit, but I wouldn't really call it 'lightweight' in retrospect.

I'll probably rewrite it using a finite state automata when I get the chance.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
Ouch. Yeah that's the kind of tedium I was hoping to avoid.

Anonymous Poster: Doesnt HL2 use the IE control anyway?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement