gyroscopic controllers (ie Nintendo Revolution)

Started by
10 comments, last by stevelat 18 years, 9 months ago
Lets assume for a minute that Nintendo incorporates two gyroscopic controllers(one for each hand) in the Revolution. For some reason I spent the whole night thinking about the potential these devices would bring to gaming. I came up with... FPS - light gunesque aiming sports - hit a ball by swinging arms or throwing balls(baseball, golf, tennis) fighting - swing arms to punch or use to swing weapons flying/driving - imitate steering or control plane by moving hand adventure - use controllers to pick up items, throw items, pull items, etc. What else? Do you think developers would jump on these new interactive abilities?
Advertisement
People would feel like idiots playing, so I don't think developers will jump to support something no one wants to play. :P
Eyetoy anyone? (don't forget those ddr games...)
Did Eyetoy really catch on? I thought it had a small boost because of the novelty of it, then it died.

And DDR involves jumping up and down, which isn't as lame as picking up something imaginary off the ground and throwing.
Quote:Original post by stevelat
Lets assume for a minute that Nintendo incorporates two gyroscopic controllers(one for each hand) in the Revolution. For some reason I spent the whole night thinking about the potential these devices would bring to gaming. I came up with...

FPS - light gunesque aiming
sports - hit a ball by swinging arms or throwing balls(baseball, golf, tennis)
fighting - swing arms to punch or use to swing weapons
flying/driving - imitate steering or control plane by moving hand
adventure - use controllers to pick up items, throw items, pull items, etc.

What else? Do you think developers would jump on these new interactive abilities?

isn't that like the Power Glove for the NES?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by Daniel Miller
And DDR involves jumping up and down, which isn't as lame as picking up something imaginary off the ground and throwing.

Yeah, but it still gets you beat up [grin]

Also, people already do the motions. Leaning into curves while racing, peaking around corners, etc.
My missus' nephews made me play EyeToy with them once. After 15 minutes I realised how unfit I am and it made me feel like an idiot. I think I'll stick to my hand held controllers. :D
Quote:Original post by Daniel Miller
Did Eyetoy really catch on? I thought it had a small boost because of the novelty of it, then it died.

Eyetoy did well enough that they released a second wave of software that showed up in game sales charts for a while. And I have friends who "don't like games" but spend hours with DDR. There's a difference between "novelty value" and "untapped market niche".

I'm not saying I personally would go for such things (in fact, I have never used either) but they seem to be popular among people who aren't conventional gamers.
If you did a lab experiment where you put Donkey Konga, that silly little drum, and a comfy chair in a room and secretly watched test subjects going in there, you'd see the same thing from everyone: They go in, they scoff at the contraption, they sit down. Then they look around, make sure nobody's watching, and proceed to have the time of their lives smacking that little plastic bongo.

Don't pretend you don't want to do it. Besides, you can make it seem cool. Remember that guy in The Wizard? How cool he made the Power Glove look? The Power Glove sucked balls, but if you made a thing that worked like that looked, you'd be using a gyroscopic rake to organize your hundred-dollar-bills.
Only the people who are too concerned about "being cool" will miss out on the fun, therefore becoming uncool, thus forcing them to use it :D

That is, if it catches on. The thing is you do look silly doing it... but you look silly as well by staring at a screen wiggling a tiny stick and pushing buttons. We're just used to it.

About DDR: some people don't try it coz they don't want to look like fools. But inside, those people have a craving to play it, and if left alone with the machine they'd try it.

Me? I'm silly, and all for it. After all, it's all play!
I do chuckle when friends dodge in FPS games or tilt in racing games. They laugh too. And I do the same things too. It's all good.

About the original topic: Mario party should be a goddamn blast. Balance the whatevers! as for other games, I have no idea what is really possible and what is not,except for a baseless joystick. I saw one of those for PC... and didn't buy it. Regretted it later. It was a stick with a button on top, and you tilted it like a joystick... only it was on the air, no base.
Working on a fully self-funded project

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement