Sign in to follow this  
MichaelNolan

Help with windows

Hello, I am sorry for placing this here but i badly need help and didn't know where else to put this. I recently got a virus which infected my registry so i try to nail the thing by clearing it out of the CurrentVersion/Run etc but in doing so i messed up windows (XP) and had to reinstall it. My work was still on the hard drive except as i locked my files from other users when i went back on to Windows i couldnt get into that directory regardless if my name was the same. I was hoping for any help as to getting back into that directory. The only relation between "General Programming" and my problem is that all of my current programming work is stored in one of the sub directories. Thanks in advance and please dont hurl insults at me for placing this problem here, Mike

Guest Anonymous Poster
try 'show hidden maps' in your documents and settings folder. Maaaaaaaaaybe it will help

Hi there Mike you can acces files, locked by Windows XP the following way:

Open your MyComputer... then go on your Hard Drive ... right mouse select properties ... select the Extras folder ... please note that I am using german Xp so I'm not 100% sure if the names are the ones I'll use but I'll explain as good as I can ...

in the extras folder you can find first of all check disk and then the defragmention tool and the third thing is a backup tool ... click on backup now ... work with the assistant .. go on and select backup files and settings ... go on ... select .. choose elements to be safed on your own ... last option ... now select all folders you'd like to acces ... also the locked ones are visible ... go on ... choose a direction where to safe the backup file which you can name in the space below ... go on ... selcet ... the only button in the text ... some kind of advanced or somethign to choose additional backup options choose copy as option ... go on ... choose then to check the files after backup ... then choose replace backupfile ... and don't tick the box below which says allow only the admin blah ... the do the backup now ...

after this go to your backup file and doubleclick it .. then work again with the assistant but this time choose not to safe files etc but to recreate them ... choose the folders in the bkf file ... then go on and go again on the advanced button to say to recreate the files in an alternative folder ... their put in your folder ... then choose replace existing files and then untick the options to recreate the safety properties ... best uncheck all 3 boxes ... go on ... click finish and you'll have your files ...

hope I could help ... if you have difficulty somewhere ask and I'lll answer

cheers,
marcel

Quote:
Original post by MMarcel
Hi there Mike you can acces files, locked by Windows XP the following way:

Open your MyComputer... then go on your Hard Drive ... right mouse select properties ... select the Extras folder ... please note that I am using german Xp so I'm not 100% sure if the names are the ones I'll use but I'll explain as good as I can ...

The "Extras folder" is the Tools tab.

yckx