Sign in to follow this  
Khaos Dragon

novodex wrapper for c#

I was wondering how I would go about making novodex useable in c# and wanted to know if the following sequence of steps is on the right track. 1) write a c++.net wrapper around the unmanaged novodex library 2) compile the wrapper into a dll 3) from within c# use pinvokes to load and run the wrapper functions from the dll

If you write a managed class around Novodex you would not use PInvoke from your own code anymore. You would simply add the dll as a reference and then treat the managed classes inside like normal managed classes. You only need to use PInvoke to call out into non-managed code.

Ok now that is good to know.
Now do I need to wrap each every novodex function I use or could I combine them. Let's say hypothetically I managed to put all my physics related code in 3 functions.

InitializeNovodex()
RunNovodex( float timeSlice)
FreeNovodex()

Could I merely wrap these 3 functions and then call them directly from the resultant dll in c#?

Yes, you can wrap them however you want to, only the functions you want to call from the managed portion of your program need to be declared in the wrapper. If you do a full porting of the code to managed though, be sure to let people know. A lot of people will probably find that useful.