Sign in to follow this  
murdock

menu screens

How do most people do their main menus? Do you use a graphic with the menu on it? Or use a background graphic and use a function to write the text separately?

Background graphic with the text seperately. Makes it easier to change the menu, or have different menus with the same background. Also, you can do effects like having the menu slide in and out or a variety of other things.

Usually we use an image for the menus, with a text in it (the text is embedded in the image, to look nice).

Quote:
Original post by Raduprv
Usually we use an image for the menus, with a text in it (the text is embedded in the image, to look nice).

Yeah, that's what I usually do. Or, I have the menu background, and I have other images for the text, usually one image per option, just so that it looks nicer but you can still modify it easily.

In the past, I've just done a solid color background with text buttons overlayed. It was the easiest/quickest to get working.

Quote:
Original post by wendigo23
Background graphic with the text seperately. Makes it easier to change the menu, or have different menus with the same background. Also, you can do effects like having the menu slide in and out or a variety of other things.

How do you do effects? What are you using?

Quote:
Original post by murdock
How do you make the buttons clickable?

You mean look differet when you click them?
You use 3 different sets of buttons: normal, mouse over (optional) and down. The you change them accordingly.

Actually I think I figured out my own question.

I was refering to how do you make it do something when you click on the button..ex. click on button then how do you get a start game button to actually start the game.

You might want to look into a state machine. The basic concept is that you have a base state class which has paint, update, etc functions. Now every game state will have its own derived state class which will override the original class's paint, update, etc classes. As for a GUI system, don't try to make your own. If you do, just implement buttons. As an alternative, I'd suggest looking at the powerful GUI de Crazy Eddie.

Its also worth looking at Enginuity asrticles here at gamedev, they seem to be a good starting point for engine design.