delphi personal 2005 (downloading issues)

Started by
4 comments, last by redirectionkid 18 years, 10 months ago
I'm pretty new to delphi, and I've been trying to download the free personal version from the Borland website, and I can't even figure out where to go to download it. I've repeatedly clicked the "Delphi 2005 Personal" link, and I've registered with delphi and all I seem to keep getting is a text activation file in my email. The email then explains that I need that text file to be in my home directory to activate Delphi. Which is all nice and dandy, but since I don't even have the friggin' program yet, it's pretty useless. Everytime I search google for "free delphi 2005 personal downloads" I just get to the delphi "downloads" section of the borland website which eventually just redirects me to the registration page that sends that same stupid email. Yet I cannot for the life of me figure out where the hell I'm supposed to get the damn program. The site says that it's available there, and every friggin' newbie delphi tutorial on the net says that the site has it available, but I can't figure out where I'm supposed to get it. Because I sure as hell can't get it from the "downloads" section. This is quite frustrating (not to mention embarrassing) that I aspire to program, yet I can't even figure out how to download the gosh-darned development environment. this is the address http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_delphi.html Thanks for your time. And please... no laughing.
Advertisement
You need the CD. As it plainly states. The only way to get Delphi 2005 Personal Edition is if you "bought" it as part of a promotion (i.e. bought a computer magazine with the program on the cover disk)
If you really want a copy of Delphi and are only looking to do Win32 programming (not .NET compiling) you could always get Delphi 7 Personal (English)
Ah that will work! Yes!

Thanks for the help.

The older Personal editions could be downloaded (and as I've linked, they still can even though Borland doesn't advertise it). While 2005 is free, Borland has apparently not decided to host it themselves. Though depending on the tutorials I might actually suggest going with Delphi 7 over 2005. 2005 is very large and quite complex (it also sets new records for a Delphi IDE to startup). If you are just interested in learning Delphi you might find version 7 far more inviting.
It sounds like 7.0 is just what I need then. While I'm not -entirely- new at programming, I'm just trying to get my feet wet in regards to the delphi language. I'm not really looking to learn the ins/outs of the language. I'll save that energy for C++. Hopefully.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement