Sign in to follow this  
TwilightAegis

OpenGL A few questions about OpenGL

Ok, I am a beginner programmer, and I'm thinking about what thing to use: directX or OpenGL. I haven't tried either one, but I don't want to spend months learning the wrong thing. Sooo... 1. is OpenGL usable on Windows XP? 2. is it incredibly difficult? i.e. having to program complex things like shading and hightmapping yourself? 3. does it require you do download a giagantimungus SDK? (i've got dialup) 4. is it open source, meaning, is it legal to make proprietary programs with it? Ok so that's all. You don't need to point me in the direction of a good tutorial because I already downloaded the NeHe lessons in PDF format.

1. Yes, OpenGL is cross platform to most major OS's including all Windows and Nix's
2. It depends, and yes you have to do shaders and heightmappig yourself, but it's the same with D3D.
3. No
4. Yes

(Oh and this is barely touching the no x vs. y rule)

1. Yes.
2. Compared to what, there's no built in commands for those so you'll have to make them yourself.
3. No, It usually comes with the compiler's standard libs in my experience.
4. It's a open standard not a program (MESA is a open source software implementation of OpenGL if thats what your thinking). Yes you can make propriety programs with it, look at id software, or nearly any high end 3d modeling program.

Also nearly anything that does hardware 3d (Like game consoles except for maybe the xbox, and even some future cell phones) use OpenGL or something very similar to it.

Quote:
Original post by Cocalus
Also nearly anything that does hardware 3d (Like game consoles except for maybe the xbox, and even some future cell phones) use OpenGL or something very similar to it.

Actually XBOX(made by mocrosoft) uses a varient of D3D(made by microsoft, surprise surprise), though a lot of cell phones do have OpenGL|ES.

a big thing to remember is directx covers more than just graphics,it covers everything from keyboard input,sound through to 3D graphics. So to be technically correct it would be Direct3D vs OpenGL and this is one argument i ain't going to get involved in.

As a pretty general rule, everything u can do in OpenGL u can do it Direct3D and vice versa,of course there are exceptions to this rule but u get the picture.

Why not just start playing around with both and see which you prefer, i know with me personally when i first started, i begun to learn both but for some reason OpenGL just made more sense to me so i went down that path,everyone is different so give both a try.

"Ok, I am a beginner programmer, and I'm thinking about what thing to use: directX or OpenGL. I haven't tried either one, but I don't want to spend months learning the wrong thing. Sooo..."

D3D and GL have a lot of similarities but there are some significant differences. As a beginner, that shouldn't matter to you.
There is no such thing as the *wrong* thing.
Either way, you will spend months and years to become an expert.

Downloading the DX SDK will take you 1 or 2 days on dialup.
For GL, you don't reall need a SDK. Visit the FAQ at www.opengl.org on how to get started. You can then visit ati.com/developer and nvidia.com/developer and download examples one at a time.