• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Pixelated_Nate
      Hello all!
      I'm currently designing a 2D, Puzzle/Action RPG, in a similar vein to Legend of Zelda: Link to The Past, in Unity and require a Programmer partner in which to work with me.
      The project, yet to be titled, will feature:
      A semi-open world, represented through pixel art, in which the player traverses to enter dungeons and advance the story. A handful of side-quests that require memorizing details and using puzzle-mechanics. A fast-paced, melee combat system that will include dodging, blocking and utilizing four different attack types that can be switched on the fly. A simple inventory of "Key Items" to be used in order to advance the story. Day & Night system and Weather Effects, with weather effecting combat.  A very simple Dialogue System to convey information via colored text. Saving/Loading via exporting and importing a physical save file. Majority of the project is already planned out, with plans to release commercially and splitting the profits equally among the two of us. 
      I would request that the applicant is able to work semi-independently, following an outline, and that they have experience in both C# programming  *and* putting those scripts to use inside Unity, whilst I will be creating the Art, Music/SFX and doing Level Design (Though if you are also comfortable in assisting me with these, I wouldn't be opposed.).
      Work will be shared in either Github or Unity Collab (Applicants preference), with communication done via Discord. 
      For more information and to apply, please contact me at nathan.jenkins1012@gmail.com
      Thanks for reading! 
    • By Just4lol
      I'm looking for my dream teammate(s) to help me work on my Unity game. I still dont know where Im going with that project but I want to make a good final product that I would be able to sell or publish it for free on Steam.  Here a video of the prototype (The only thing I dint made is the skybox) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Otmt9jRkc
      My discord : Just4lol#46982
      I want somone at least as competent as me : 
      - I want somone with at least one year of experience in Unity (already worked with scriptable object and know oop).
      - Already worked with shaders or can do editors tools is a plus.
      - Can do 3d models in Blender or can do 2d art for the ui or particles effects.
      - Can make soundtracks or sound effects a bonus.
      Im a french Canadian so mind my english I will do my best to edit any errors I see. 
    • By Damnwing0405
      I am looking for talents to form a team of making a strategy base action game. Talents I am currently looking for are : -
      (I) Unity programmer (mobile)
      (II) Game designer
      (III) 3d Artist
      (IV) SFX Artist
      The attachment is some game concept for the game. All the concept will be turn into 3d or card form. The game will be strategy game where the players can form their own team and control the units in the battle field real time to fight against each others.  If you are interested to know more details please pm me or send an email to damnwing0405@gmail.com

• By bsudheer
      Leap Leap Leap! is a fast-paced, endless running game where you leap from rooftop to rooftop in a computer simulated world.

This is a free run game and get excited by this fabulous computer simulated world of skyscrapers and surreal colors in parallax effect. On your way, collect cubes and revival points as many as you can to make a long run.

Features of Leap Leap Leap:
      -Option of two themes: Black or White.
      -Simple one touch gameplay.
      -Attractive art.
      -Effective use of parallax.
      To Download the game:
      Playstore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.avakaigames.leap
      Appstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/leap-leap-leap/id683764406?mt=8

• By BillyGD

Play Flick Football 3D @ https://gamejolt.com/games/flickfootball3d/326078
      Check out our Facebook page @ https://www.facebook.com/FlickFootball3D/
      Flick Football 3D is a turn based football game inspired by the table top classic 'Subbuteo'.
      The game is currently in very early Alpha development. There is still a lot to be done before the first proper release but I have decided to release this playable version to get as much feedback as possible.
      The only game mode currently available in this release is the 'Practice Mode' which gives you control of both teams. Either play against yourself to get used to how the game works or play against friends and family on the same computer!
      Planned Future Features Include:
      -Take control of your own custom team in the single player campaign.
      -Play in online leagues and tournaments against other players in the multiplayer mode.
      -Fully customisable stadiums to make you stand out from the rest of the players.
      -Improve your players stats and skills by playing matches and setting up training sessions.
      Flick Football 3D is available for Windows, Mac and Browser.
      Thank you for viewing my game, all feedback is greatly appreciated. I can be contacted at; BillyGDev@outlook.com
      'Flick Football 3D' is also the development name for the game and I haven't yet decided what the full release will be called, so if you have any ideas please drop me a message!
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Unity Non-uniform random numbers

This topic is 4658 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is a programming challenge I proposed to my development team today, and we had fun with it, so I thought I'd present it to you. The challenge is to create a random number generation function, similar to rand() which will have a higher probability of returning low numbers than high numbers. The declaration for the function is
int nuRand(const int nUpper)
where nUpper is the upper boundary of the random numbers the function should return (non-inclusive) So calling "nuRand(100)" will return random numbers of the range 0 to 99. The rules:
  1. The function is to be written in C/C++ (no assembly)
  2. The code must be 100% yours.. no 3rd party libraries Edit: You may use the STL and CRT, so rand() and abs() are fine
    • No plagiarism please.
  3. The probability curve of the returned values may be anything you wish, it may even be linear, just so long as there is a much higher probability of getting a '0' returned than a '99'. edit: I'd like to see a nice linear distribution though [smile]
  4. Bonus points awarded for speed and memory usage.
  5. new: I don't have a linux box, so please make sure your functions will compile under MSVC6
  6. new: Please no anonymous posting! I will run your functions, but you won't get the leadership.
  7. new: Please place lengthy code exerpts in [ source ] [/ source] brackets. See the faq for more info.
If you post your functions here, I will test them when I get home from work, and update this post with the current leader(s) in the categories of execution speed and memory usage. Good luck.
Results: smart_idiot curently holds the speed record of 1196.1585ms in the speed test. The function posted by Mr. "Anonymous Poster" was actually faster (979.9690), but anonymous posters can't get the credit, I'm afraid. The curve was also VERY steep.. out of 10000000 function calls, 9970000 returned '0'. Wyrframe: 1484.7239ms (btw, your rand2() function will throw a div/0 error, so this is rand2_edited's time) Zahlman: 2073.2392ms The distribution from your function was nice and linear.. I like :) Conner McCloud, I wasn't able to actually get your function to return. It was getting stuck in an infinite loop somewhere. I'm not going to bother with testing memory usage.. They're all so close... I was afraid someone would do something like:
  int *aNumbers = new int[nUpper];
  for(int n=nUpper; n > 0; n--)
    aNumbers[n-1] = rand()%n;
  int nRet = aNumbers[rand()%nUpper];
  delete [] aNumbers;
  return nRet;

My test function: A preliminary loop of 10,000,000 function calls is performed to test the output of the function, which I then graph in excel to see the curve. After that, I do a number of 1000000-call iterations with various powers of two for the speed test.
int main(int argc, char* argv[])
   LARGE_INTEGER liFreq, liStart, liStop;
   double dTicks;

int aCounts[100];
   memset(aCounts, 0, sizeof(int)*100);

int nTemp, n;
   for(n=0; n <10000000; n++)
      nTemp = nuRand(100);
      if(nTemp >= 100 || nTemp < 0)
         printf("Function returned a random # outside of parameters! (%d)\r\n", nTemp);

for(n=0; n < 100; n++)
      printf("%3d = %8d\r\n",n, aCounts[n]);

int max=0x40000000;
   for(int i=1; i < max; i<<=1)
      for(n=0; n < 1000000; n++)

dTicks = liStop.QuadPart-liStart.QuadPart;
   printf("Elapsed = %6.4fms\r\n",(dTicks/liFreq.QuadPart)*1000);

printf("\r\nDone! Press [enter] to quit...");
   return 0;

[Edited by - pragma Fury on June 23, 2005 11:45:33 AM]

return 0;

...MUCH higher probability of low numbers than high numbers. Fast and efficient, too.

if F is your desired distribution function and X is a random variable with uniform distribution [0,1]. Y=F^-1(X) is a random variable with distribution F.
( F^-1 is of course the inverse of F).

As C:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <string.h>

double temp=(double)rand()/((double)(RAND_MAX)+1.0);
return (int)(temp*temp*(double)nUpper);

int main()
int counts[10];
memset(counts, 0, sizeof counts);

int c = 0;

for(; c < 1000000; ++c)

for(c = 0; c < 10; ++c)
printf("%d-%d:\t%d\n", c*10, (c+1)*10-1, counts[c]);

0-9:    315897
10-19: 131099
20-29: 100221
30-39: 85241
40-49: 74799
50-59: 67635
60-69: 61860
70-79: 57666
80-89: 53991
90-99: 51591

[Edited by - smart_idiot on June 23, 2005 12:21:38 AM]

For the inverse (and given the properties of integers, much more obvious) solution to smart_idiot's...
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>

unsigned rand2( int high ) {
return rand() / rand() % high;

unsigned rand2_edited( int high ) {
static int last = 0;
if ( ! last ) last = rand();

int next = rand();
int result = (next / last) % high;
last = next;
return result;

int main(int argc, char** argv) {
unsigned hits[20] = {0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0};
unsigned i;

for (i=0; i<1000000; i++)
hits[rand2(100) / 5] += 1;

for (i=0; i<20; i++)
printf("[%02u,%02u) hit %u times\n", i*5, (i+1)*5, hits);

return 0;

[wyrframe@Earth ~/Programming]$ g++ rand2.cpp

[wyrframe@Earth ~/Programming]$ ./a.out
[00,05) hit 900533 times
[05,10) hit 50164 times
[10,15) hit 16997 times
[15,20) hit 8972 times
[20,25) hit 5306 times
[25,30) hit 3596 times
[30,35) hit 2581 times
[35,40) hit 1945 times
[40,45) hit 1697 times
[45,50) hit 1333 times
[50,55) hit 1131 times
[55,60) hit 983 times
[60,65) hit 872 times
[65,70) hit 779 times
[70,75) hit 628 times
[75,80) hit 582 times
[80,85) hit 558 times
[85,90) hit 508 times
[90,95) hit 447 times
[95,100) hit 388 times

(and yes; my main desktop is called Earth. My beautiful little silver laptop is named Mercury. When I get the damned thing working, my server will be called Mars. My girlfriend's computer, if I have any say in it, will be called Venus. I'm a geek. So sue me.)

Edit - Brief examination shows mine as slower than smart_idiot's by nearly 40%. But by caching the previous rand() in a static variable instead of calling it twice every time, mine is slower than his by only 12% (0.02 ms difference with one million calls, so who cares).

[Edited by - Wyrframe on June 23, 2005 2:50:44 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
int uRand()
static int seed = 1;
seed = ( seed * 3039177861 + 1 & 0x7fffffff );

return seed;

int nuRand( int nUpper )
return (nUpper-1) * 65536 / ( 65536 + uRand() );

Original post by FlowingOoze
if F is your desired distribution function and X is a random variable with uniform distribution [0,1]. Y=F^-1(X) is a random variable with distribution F.
( F^-1 is of course the inverse of F).

As I recall [and its been a few years], F isn't the distribution, its the integral of the distribution.

I like normals, and I dislike reinventing the wheel. Therefore, Brian Flannery et al officially suggest the following method:

double getFloat()
return rand()*(1.0/4294967295.0);

double getGaussian()
double fac,rsq,v1,v2;
do {
} while (rsq >= 1.0 || rsq == 0.0);
return v2*fac;

double getGaussian(double mean, double stdev)
return getGaussian() * stdev + mean;

I couldn't figure out a good way to time it, but... here's a simple way, just taking the lower of two random values each time (and caching one random result).

#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <ctime>

int nuRand(const int nUpper) {
static int prev = rand();
int next = rand();
int result = std::min(prev % nUpper, next % nUpper);
prev = next;
return result;

const int bincount = 10;
const int binsize = 10;
const int trials = 1000000;

int main() {
int results[bincount];
for (int i = 0; i < trials; ++i) {
results[nuRand(bincount * binsize) / binsize]++;
for (int i = 0; i < bincount; ++i) {
std::cout << i << ": " << results << std::endl;

// run 1
0: 189224
1: 170299
2: 149734
3: 130418
4: 110030
5: 90169
6: 70019
7: 50055
8: 29952
9: 10100

// run 2
0: 189702
1: 169299
2: 150861
3: 129924
4: 109899
5: 89904
6: 69998
7: 50351
8: 30203
9: 9859

Original post by Conner McCloud
I like normals, and I dislike reinventing the wheel.

OK, now massage it into a distribution which meets the spec :)

Original post by Zahlman
Original post by Conner McCloud
I like normals, and I dislike reinventing the wheel.

OK, now massage it into a distribution which meets the spec :)

I was going to, but when i reread the problem statement I saw "The probability curve of the returned values may be anything you wish" and missed the actual function definition.

int i = abs(int(getGaussian(0, nUpper/5.0)));
return (i < nUpper) ? i : nUpper-1;

Using your test setup:

0: 383559
1: 299602
2: 184026
3: 87541
4: 32710
5: 9868
6: 2270
7: 356