Sign in to follow this  
J1NX

Why is my lighting translating too?

A noob question, but it should mean for a nice and easy answer (hopefully)... Here's what's happening: I create a light source, then I do a translate and I create a sphere, but when I run my program, my light source has translated as well as the sphere. Here's a chunk (kindof pseudocoded) of my draw function: . . . LightPosition = [ 0, 0, 3 , 0 ]; glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW); glLoadIdentity(); glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_POSITION, LightPosition); glPushMatrix(); glTranslatef(-5.0f, 5.0f, 0); glutSolidSphere(1.0f, 10.0f, 10.0f); glPopMatrix(); glPushMatrix(); glTranslatef(5.0f, -5.0f, 0); glutSolidSphere(1.0f, 10.0f, 10.0f); glPopMatrix(); glFlush(); . . . The result looks like the spheres are lighted at the origin and THEN translated...what do I need to do to make them get translated first, and THEN get lighted? I expected that the first would look like the light was coming from the bottom right and the second would look like the light was coming from the top left, but they both look like the light's coming from straight ahead. Thanks in advance.

The man is right; when you specify your light's position will dictate how that position is transformed before lightning calculations take place.

Change
LightPosition = [ 0, 0, 3 , 0 ];
to
LightPosition = [ 0, 0, 3 , 1 ];

The first is a directional light while you seem to want a point light. I'm really tired but I'm pretty sure your calling glLightfv in the right place.

You were right on, Cocalus. All I had to do was change that 0 to a 1 and it started working perfectly. Thanks!