FPS with no guns

Started by
14 comments, last by Jiia 18 years, 9 months ago
I'm actually about to head to sleep. But i wanted to have a conversation about a fps with no guns. I'm not working on one or anything I and i no someone thought of this before me but it kind of stood out. So i decided to make a post to see what you guys (for thoes of you who are up now) think about it, can it work, what would the projectiles be, how would the game play. I kind of though like a native american thing could work, i could see tomahawks, bows and throwing spears being use. The tomahawk could serve as the essiential shotgun of the fps, very good at close ranges. But it was just an idea, i think i'll make a post in the morning, gimme your 2 cents on this.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My Email: [email=zike22@aol.com]zike22@aol.com[/email] - My AIM: zike22@AIM
"Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth. For a man can remake the world if he has a dream and no facts to cloud his mind." - The Emperor, WarHammer 40K
Advertisement
I like the idea. I loved the "fly shooter" or whateverit was called in Half-Life that shot those red thingies that followed a person (good in determining if somebody is hiding nearby).

I also remember me and a couple of friends decided to LAN with a FPS (can't remember which one), but limited ourselves only to the throwing knives and/or grenades to kill each other, was kinda fun.
Try, try and fucking try again.
I think making ammo scarce would be a good idea. perhaps you can reuse a tomahawk which missed, or pick up arrows from dead bodies or yourself [grin]. A limit on the number of ammo/weapons you can carry will help with people hoarding the ammo.

A good melee system should also be in place.

edit:
some projectile weapons - boomerangs, slings, blowdarts, crosbows
having different ammo types for the weapons wouls also be fun. you can choose a poison darts or normal darts, iron tipped , bone tipped arrows, etc.
---------------Magic is real, unless declared integer.- the collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt
Quote:Original post by Talib
I also remember me and a couple of friends decided to LAN with a FPS (can't remember which one), but limited ourselves only to the throwing knives and/or grenades to kill each other, was kinda fun.

Soldier of fortune? The knife throwing in that was great

I really like the idea. Anyone remember heretic, hexen, or hexen 2?
First-person shooter gameplay without guns? The closest I could think of right now is the Zelda games on Nintendo64 & Gamecube where the game switches to first person view (if not targeting an enemy, i.e. manually aiming) when using the boomerang, bow and arrows (normal,fire,ice,light), or slingshot.
As far as I can imagine, it would add more strategy and depth without taking a single thing away. Leading on targets would be much more important. And ammo would definitely be something to worry about in almost all cases.

But how do you make players fight the urge to pick up an object and just whack people with it? I mean how do you explain that they are supposed to be throwing things? Perhaps if the player character specialized in such an art.
stealth would also play a bigger part, I think. Unlike guns, these weapons make little noise to attract other people.
---------------Magic is real, unless declared integer.- the collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt
Quote:Original post by yapposai
stealth would also play a bigger part, I think. Unlike guns, these weapons make little noise to attract other people.

I think it depends on the weapon, though. A silenced bullet to the head would make a lot less racket than a guy running in circles screaming about the hatchet jammed in his chest.

Sorry, I'm just being annoying :P
How about fantasy - energy projectiles.

What do I mean?

Google: "Bid for Power"
-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
I'm sure it's inevitable that someone will mention this eventually, but a game called Rune (based on the unreal engine) was along these lines, and took place in a world of vikings where 90% of weapons were purely melee weapons, with only a few special weapons capable of ranged attacks (lightning bolts/etc), not that it couldn't perhaps be done better, but just a heads up that it has been attempted!
Cheers,SteveLiquidigital Online

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement