Sign in to follow this  
SeppSchrot

License for Ogg Vorbis Libs

Hello, as a small indie gamedev team working on its first commercial title we are facing many legal issues that weren´t there when we developed free/open-src games. One of these is the BSD-style license for the OggVorbis Encoder libraries. http://www.xiph.org/licenses/bsd/ I know this license was relaxed some time ago, so you have not to print the copyright notice in every ad any more. But I'am not entirely sure what is meant by "Redistributions in binary form" which demand for the 2. condition. Is a Game that links staticly the encoder libs a redistribution or would only a standalone-lib be understood as a redistribution. Would a single Vorbislicense.txt in the main directory quoting this license enough? thx for help, Sepp

Looking at the license I would think that a mention in the manual or some form of documentation that the program uses the library and that the library is © year, Xiph.Org Foundation would be enough.

Though to be on the safe side, i'd take a look through the mailing list archives to see if the question has been asked there. If not maybe ask on one of the mailing lists, i'm sure someone there could give you a definitive answer.

another solution would be to take a look at some commercial games you own which use vorbis, and see how they integrated the license.
many newer games use vorbis, newest example: GTA San Andreas (PC version).

a list of games using vorbis can be found at: http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/Games_that_use_Vorbis

Well,

when I checked a game I know it´s using Ogg sounds, I didn´t find any seperate disclaimer.
But maybe the game developers wrote the decoder on their own and didn´t use
the reference library.

Ok, I'll browse the mail archives now.

Thx so far,
Sepp

GTA: San Andreas for example uses the official library, since there are vorbis.dll, vorbisfile.dll and ogg.dll in the gamedir.

plz tell the outcome of your research, i would be really interested in it...

Quote:

plz tell the outcome of your research, i would be really interested in it...

No definitive answer found so far, sorry.
However we decided that it doesn´t hurt to put this license note in the PDF manual. It´s just fair, since there surely was a lot of work put into these libs.

greetz,
Sepp

btw:
Bist du derselbe loki wie im C++.de board? ;)

i think the way adding the license to the documentation is the proper way doing it.

btw: another method of looking whether a game uses the official libs is looking for the 3 DLLs, and when not found, looking for the strings "libvorbis" and "libogg" in the exe file (this will only work if the EXE is not encrypted)...