Distro for (very?) low end computer

Started by
20 comments, last by Ravuya 18 years, 9 months ago
The computer I want to run linux on has the follow specs: AMD 450mhz CPU, 384mb SDRAM, 40gig HD, ATI Rage Pro (128?) 32mb Graphics Card, Some sound card. I was looking at Ubuntu but I was wondering how well that would run. Basicly I'm just going to use the machine for word processing and programming, so it isn't anything intensive. So, will Ubuntu run ok based on those specs?
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
Advertisement
I'de recommend an SO that takes the most advantage of what little you already have, so Gentoo or FreeBSD.
I wouldn't suggest Gentoo because you'd be there for weeks compiling. I guess you might be able to get binary packages for some things. Not sure what I would suggest though..
I installed Ubuntu and so far it works great. Not slow at all =)
Quote:Original post by necromancer_df
I wouldn't suggest Gentoo because you'd be there for weeks compiling. I guess you might be able to get binary packages for some things. Not sure what I would suggest though..

So? You only do it once. You can even *gasp* let it run overnight!

I installed Gentoo on a Pentium II 266 MHz with 64 MB RAM and a 6 GB HD. Compiling the base system, with -O3, without X or KDE, took about 20 hours.

Compiling shouldn't be a problem for this machine. I think it's kinda strange that you're calling it "very low end".
Ra
I find the biggest slow-down for any of my Linux distros is usually the window manager. My personal favorite is FluxBox (though you could easily start a flamewar on that topic). If I remember correctly, on Ubuntu you can just use Synaptic to grab a recent version (you may need to enable the "universe" repository).

good luck, and of course have fun.
Quote:"very low end".
Compared to mose of the computers people brag about on this forum, I thought it was o_O

But, all is well now; thanks for the input!
Personally im a slacker, and find that slackware can be matched to jsut about any machine with an 80486 or higher. Of course this depends on your skill level at configuring linux. I currently use a 400mhz p2 with 64mbs of ram and no harddisk(custom made livecd) running slackware as my router/gateway/'oh no windows crashed again' machine. Runs just fine. Extremely low end? lol I think not. I use a 700mhz p3 as my fastest pc!
Quote:fine. Extremely low end? lol I think not. I use a 700mhz p3 as my fastest pc!

Ok, ok bad choice of words (by the way, my best computer is a 600mhz celeron with intergrated graphics, and I think sound too). Every person I know always called it a super low end computer so there :P
Quote:Original post by Ra
Quote:Original post by necromancer_df

So? You only do it once. You can even *gasp* let it run overnight!

I installed Gentoo on a Pentium II 266 MHz with 64 MB RAM and a 6 GB HD. Compiling the base system, with -O3, without X or KDE, took about 20 hours.

Sure if you only want the base system you can leave it overnight.. and then when you want some other packages you have to set that off and leave it over night. Then you want more so you leave that over night.. in the end it has taken weeks to get all the software you want.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement