My first game

Started by
16 comments, last by wasted_druid 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi everyone. I've read some tutorials on this page, from whuch i know that ishould use c or c++ for making games. I also know that for first game i should make something similar to tetris. Graphics are not the problem because i have some basic knowlege about photoshop, and 3ds max which i guess will be no of use at least for now. And here's my question: what is the best site with tutorials for the beginners, and are there any free books over the web i could read? Still i'm going to by a book anyway but as i'm programing noob it's hard for me to say which one suits my needs better. Thanks for everyone who will try to help me.
Advertisement
Try the Forum FAQ

Also TickTackToe is an easier game to code than Tetris.

C and C++ are not essential for game creation, many ppl also recommend C#, Python, VB. Go with what you know the best or can learn the easiest.

If you are going the C/C++ way have a look at SDL.

My best advice I can give you is learn your language first and code as much as possible ... the more experience the better.
Try, try and fucking try again.
After you learn some C/Cplusplus you should look into SDL.
SDL
It's an easier way to get started with video, music,
and input in games.
For mankind so hated the world That it gave all it's begotten sons and daughters That whoever believed the lie To perish and receive everlasting hell
programming guru's seconds edition
need a baic understanding of c or c++
great book, only book I ever read on games that actually makes a text adventure with u
it also covers 2d and 3d
it's easy to understand
I bought like 7 books from barnes and noble in like last year and it's the best
----------------------------------------------------------feed a man a fish and you feed him everydayfeed a man a poisened fish and you never have to feed that man again
Thanks to all of you for so quick replies I'll try to check or resources you have recomended.
I have next question: what compilier should i use?
I'm searching for some free ones.
BTW: Does compiliers contain some editing tools, or do i have to write programs in notepad?
You'll want an IDE. It contains editors and access to you compiler all in one nice package. If you want a free one, I suggest DevC++. It includes a GCC compiler.
----------------------------------------------------------No matter how eloquently you state your argument, the fact remains that the toilet seat is a bistable device. Therefore it's natural position is no more down than it is up.[SDL Smooth Tile Scrolling]
Hello. As for a compiler, there are some free ones that I have heard of, (http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/cpp.shtml) look at that website, a quick search produced it, and it seems to have some good results.

Anyway, I was able to get Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 professional for $50 on ebay. That is, if you like 6.0 better than .net... I haven't tried .net, but I like 6.0 a lot. (.net is basically Visual C++ 7.0, with elements of Java in it I believe).

If you are willing to fork over $50, then try e-bay. (May take some time to find one that low though) Otherwise, try the site I listed earlier.

Hope I helped a bit.
That depends on your platform. If you're on Linux, you have gcc, make, emacs, and everything else in the world you need. If you're on Windows, you can still get gcc, in the guise of a (slightly arcane, but only slightly) collection of software called MinGW. If you don't want to bother with that, there's lcc, which is free, simple, and has it's own editor, but doesn't do C++.

For editors, I would recommend (in no particular order) Vim, emacs, SciTE, and Bloodshed Software's Dev-C++. If you want to solve all the problems in your life without messing around too much, get Dev-C++ with the MinGW package included, which has pretty much everything you need to start hacking C.

Do note, that if you're just starting programming, I STRONGLY suggest NOT starting with C or C++. Start with Python or Ruby or Java. All of these come in nice, easy-to-play-with packages, though having a nice editor is still a good idea. Once you're comfortable with that, THEN move on to C.
-----http://alopex.liLet's Program: http://youtube.com/user/icefox192
Well, I started with C++ and it worked for me, and to me it seems like if I had learned something else first it would have severely messed me up. I am still a beginner as well, but I've got all of the basics down and am currently in the process of getting into 2D graphics like SDL, as well as advanced C++ things like the STL, pointers (as in the more advanced stuff about pointers), and more advanced object oriented stuff like polymorphisim. So... I would say start with the language you are gonna use and stick with it. Everyone is different, but from my experiance the syntax is the hardest and the concepts are the easy thing, so learning an entire language just to get the concepts down seems like a tremendous waste of time. For a compiler I'd recomend Dev-C++. To get the concepts down while also learning some syntax, The Complete Idiot's Guide to C++ is a good book.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement