2d, old 3d and modern 3d

Started by
3 comments, last by Daniel Miller 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi guys, I would like to know what do you think about 2d, old 3d (dos or by the svgalib) and modern 3d. How long should someone study these three topics? tnx
Advertisement
It's hard to give you a clear answer, since it all depends on what you're trying to do. With the exception of outdated technologies (like DOS), it's handy to know a bit about everything. Only then you'll actually understand what you need to do what you want.

As for how long... the answer is forever :) There will always be new things to learn.
I'd just learn 3D... as far as 2D goes there's not a whole lot you need to know, especially if you're programming for PC.

You could also take the "old 3D" approach and write your own software rasterizer... IMO, it's a useful thing to do but not necessary. Of course you should still try to read up and get an understanding of what goes on beneath all those DirectX or OpenGL calls, though.
Quote:Original post by roos
I'd just learn 3D... as far as 2D goes there's not a whole lot you need to know, especially if you're programming for PC.

You could also take the "old 3D" approach and write your own software rasterizer... IMO, it's a useful thing to do but not necessary. Of course you should still try to read up and get an understanding of what goes on beneath all those DirectX or OpenGL calls, though.

I second this. Learning the "new" 3D, and making sure you have a good understanding of what goes on at a lower level, should be sufficient. Once you have a mastery of 3D rendering, 2D will become extremely trivial (and you wouldn't have had to spend any time studying it).
Learn as little as you can; you don't need to know how everything works as long as you can use it well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement