Visual C++ 6

Started by
7 comments, last by PaxNoctis 18 years, 9 months ago
Does anyone know where you can buy Visual Cplusplus 6 on the internet? All they have at microsoft.com is Cplusplus .NET
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Advertisement
You might try eBay... it's really old software, so retailers won't be carrying it. If I might ask, why exactly don't you want the latest version of Visual C++? Version 6.0's compiler is not very good.
Some of the reviews on amazon.com for it were really negative... (thinks about what he just said)... I guess that's not a whole lot to go on. I'll check it out. Thanks!
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
VisualC++ 6 is old, fact. My version of Visual Studio 6 installs itself, by default, under "VS98" - that is, 1998. It's 7 years since it was released [smile]

Not only is support for it declining (in particular the DX and Platform SDK's if you want those) an awful lot has changed (for the better imo!) in those 7 years.

I'll dig up the link in a minute, but you can download the VC++ 2003 compiler for free - which is great if you can survive without the IDE.

Alternatively you can pick up VC++ 2005 (which looks really good) beta-2 for free at the moment. Retail "express" versions are looking at retailing for ~$50 which really isn't too much to ask.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Or Dev-C++? It's free. The IDE can be quirky but if you turn off code completion then it's pretty okay. Debugging can be quirky too -- Just don't try to watch a wild pointer. It will segfault. Fortunately the IDE is nice enough not to crash, but you have to stop debugging.
As promised: Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit Download and Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions 2005 Download. Enjoy [smile]

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

dev-cpp is far less quirky than vs6 I still use the vs6 IDE sometimes though. One shitty thing about vs6 is code that works for its compiler rarely works for other compiler and vice versa. Of course you use pretty much any IDE with any compiler so upgrading to the free toolkit '03 and using it with vs6 is possible and someowhat nice.
I still use Visual C++ 6 because... well, I don't know why I still use it. I have it and CodeWarrior 6, but I'm not too fond of CW6 (don't know why this is either.) I found my copy of VC++ 6 on ebay for about $100USD bucks almost 2 years ago and CW6 cost me $35USD about 4 months ago. All in all, I'd recommend saving for a different compiler since VC6 is so out of date. Until then there is always Code::Blocks.
<blush>

Okay, I still use VC6. I bought a copy of .NET, but I never really liked it. Creature of habit... *way* too many hours spent in VC6. I use VS.NET at work all the time, and I'm familiar with all the new APIs and changed stuff, but for my hobby stuff at home, I still use 6, because for a basic OpenGL game, at the level I'm delving into OpenGL, doesn't need more.

To each his own I guess.

~Pax

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement