Sign in to follow this  

beginning game programming

This topic is 4554 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I'v just started learning C++ recently and have Sams teach yourself C++ in 24 hours. I really want to do game programming and i found another Sams book " Sams Teach Yourself Beginning Game Programming". It anyone was read this book, is it a good to go straight onto this when i'v finished teach yourself C++ in 24 hours. Thanks (sorry if this is the wrong section.)

Quote:
Original post by Kurogan
Hey,

I'v just started learning C++ recently and have Sams teach yourself C++ in 24 hours. I really want to do game programming and i found another Sams book " Sams Teach Yourself Beginning Game Programming". It anyone was read this book, is it a good to go straight onto this when i'v finished teach yourself C++ in 24 hours.

Thanks

(sorry if this is the wrong section.)

This is the right forum.

The books looks simple - this is not bad. It is actually good since you are a begginer.

The bad news is that you'll have to really do the exercise (if there are execrices in these book), understand the concepts they use (double buffering, and so on) and to practice them. The book won't teach you how to do HL2 in one week using HTML and variables, but it seems it is still a good introduction to game programming.

The good news is that, according to the book titles, you'll be able to create game after a simple reading of only 48h. I'm not sure if it is true, but it is still interesting.

Sidenote: this review rocks. Especially the "wroung" thing.

HTH,

Quote:
Original post by Kurogan
teach yourself C++ in 24 hours

I've got that - it's an older edition, with the dreaded alternate version of <iostream> that cannot be mentioned, and one paragraph outlining the STL.

I think things have moved on, but yes, it is a good book... if you like animals.

[quote]Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
Quote:
Original post by ukdeveloper
Quote:
Original post by Kurogan
I think things have moved on, but yes, it is a good book... if you like animals.

Oh...

That's pretty weird. Or disgusting? I don't know...

LOL I meant the example code in the book, as written by Jesse Liberty.

It has things like:

class Mammal
{

Mammal() { cout<<"MAMMAL NOISE"; }
~Mammal()

};

And he has Polymorphism examples whereby
 class Dog 
inherits the functions from a parent class, but has it virtual so the dog goes "Woof" instead of "MAMMAL NOISE" etc.

That's what I meant by "if you like animals" :D It's just all the examples use animal "noises" etc. to get the main points across. Weird indeed.

ukdeveloper.

This topic is 4554 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.