Sign in to follow this  

The endless world...

This topic is 4553 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Many games have an edge of the world in which the player can no longer progress forward but the world seems to continue on forever. In really old games this was faked with maybe a BMP or some ugly trick which kinda looked like it went on forever. Newer games are much better at this. I am curious as to a few methods in which this may be achieved. You would assumably want a very fast way that the requires little updates, since it is a place the player never goes.

Guest Anonymous Poster
skydomes are the best, i think, visually but the textures can be tricky to get aligned to make it look better

I think its mostly some simple extra geometry (or landscapes), placed beyond the edge, blending in with the background picture.

With a good artist it should do the trick.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You can also have seeded pseudo-random algorithms that generate the landscape on the fly once a player moves out of predesigned areas.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You could make the world round. It might feel less isolated but also feel small if you could travel around it. Also it could be harder to extend the world, but it is an option nevertheless.

I think what you want to know is large model rendering, like say the Earth. From what i've read typical techniques involve nesting of different spatial data structures. The first/top level is typically a quadtree in the case of Earth it would cover the surface of the Earth, each leaf node of the quadtree can contain a different spatial data structure depending on its contents.

When areas are about to come into view they are quickly paged in from disk or some other media.

Yah, provided ray tracing I could determine if I should be rendering those really really far off mountains for example...

I think you guys have given enough repsonse's, I should be able to achieve something.

I like the idea of making the world round... It truely would feel weird. But I would have to devise a way to me it really round but seemingly flat like that earth...odd gaming concept here.

This topic is 4553 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.