MipMapping

Started by
2 comments, last by PSioNiC 23 years, 4 months ago
I tried enabling mip mapping on my opengl program, and it doesn''t seem to work. I tried it on my Voodoo3 and my Geforce2 (which both definitely support it) and same. I downloaded the examples for ALL the demos and tried it on both video cards and they ALL have really terrible looking flashing mip maps. However quake3 and unreal and all those games do it fine. A few of those demo''s that are on the nehe main page (trinityGL and that critical one stick out) have great looking mipmaps too, So im positive it isn''t a driver conflict. Are those demos and the commercial level games using their own mipmapping algorythm or am i just missing something? any info at all would be a huge help thanks
"This is stupid. I can't believe this! Ok, this time, there really IS a bug in the compiler."... 20 mins pass ..."I'M AN IDIOT!!!"
Advertisement
Very strange indeed, I think one of the problems with my demos is that I let OpenGL build the mip maps. For a truely great looking
mip map, you should build the different levels of detail yourself.

64x64 Texture for far away
128x128 For a little closer
256x256 Even closer
512x512 Very close

ya i understand that
got the mip maps made too
but any info on how to implement this?

I know how exactly how mip maps work but i dont know how open wants me to do everything.

How do i tell OpenGL when to switch textures, and which texture to switch to ?

sorry if i sound like i can''t figure anything out on my own but i dont know much about OpenGL yet
"This is stupid. I can't believe this! Ok, this time, there really IS a bug in the compiler."... 20 mins pass ..."I'M AN IDIOT!!!"
when u use mipmapping it''ll switch textures automatically.
btw how do u know that your programs isnt using mipmaps perhaps it is.

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement