[web] Browser based games

Started by
3 comments, last by a_bertrand 18 years, 10 months ago
Recently, I've become really involved in online browser based games. (nerd, yes, I know.) I'm actually currently playing six at the same time. The more I play, the more bite offs I find, and the more simple games seem to be. I just thought it would be awesome if I had the ability to create my own online browser based game and fix some of the common problems I run into for other people. MY QUESTION: What is everything I would need to know to make this a reality? I know XHTML and I am fairly familiar with databases, (access at least). In order, what all do you believe I would have to learn. And as far as the programming language, what do you believe is the best fitted for this type of task? CQI/PERL, JSP, etc? Thanks for all of your help.
Pindergust LightheartTribes/starcraft: MASTERClan Leader: ~Young Blood~-=you only get 1 chance, make life count=-
Advertisement
That really depends on what kind of browser based game you are talking about. If you mean the turn based games (you have so many turns to use and get more every hour/day) then you should be able to get along just fine with php and mysql.
Hmm, turn based game. My idea, I suppose in essense it would be turn based, only I like the idea of the turn updated for everybody every hour on the hour. So every hour people would get their money, ore, wood, forest, military, etc. And attacking or exploring or something like that wouldn't necessarily take turns, but it would take number of hours to do. If that make sense to you at all.

So now my question would be: all the things I need to know to make this a reality would be:
XHTML
PHP
MySql

Thanks by the way.
Pindergust LightheartTribes/starcraft: MASTERClan Leader: ~Young Blood~-=you only get 1 chance, make life count=-
Yes, that will do it.

And you just need to run a Cron job however often for your turn ticker.

Well, I started my own web game some times ago, and beside technical knowledge you will need a lot of other things, like art/look & feel, rules, story/plot (or quests depending on the type of game you want to do).
I can tell you by my own experience, that something starting small at the end grows like hell.
You can check my own creation here: http://www.nodalideas.com.

If you are interested to participate at the development of this game, you are welcome to contact me. You may also contact me if you would like to share some parts of the source code or ideas. My email address is the following: bertrand@nodalideas.com.
---http://www.nowhere-else.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement