follow up to independent (is it possiable)

Started by
4 comments, last by justdan 18 years, 9 months ago
if you haven’t read independent read it first plz so really what I wana know is does anyone think its possible to make a fps to compete with halo without the big budget or a rpg to compete with ffX and so on
Advertisement
no
Quote:Original post by levite
so really what I wana know is does anyone think its possible to make a fps to compete with halo without the big budget or a rpg to compete with ffX and so on

I don't think it's possible to make an indie game that can compete with Halo or FFX on a small budget, reason being is PR of games, as well as advertising, takes a big budget. Now as for making a game that can come close to gameplay, story, and such, then yes, it's possible, it's just a matter of time. Realistically speaking, the reason games like those need big budgets is to get enough talented people to be able to get the game done in a reasonable amount of time, which is still a few years! Just my opinion though. If you have dedicated people and a close working team, it's doable, it just might take some time - which no one ever has enough of, which is why a lot of indie games fail. Well that and working for free is not on the top of anyone's priority list either [wink]
Not a chance. They can afford better development staff and more of them. They can get the game done in a lot less time. An indie game of the same quality would take years longer and the tech would be out of date by the time it was released. Your Halo2 beater would actually be competing with Halo3 or 4 by the time it came out and wouldn't compare.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Just to play the devils advocate I will say Yes :P

Sure you can create a good fps in a rather short amount of time. First person shooters are a rather well explored area regarding gameplay and technology. If you can find a way to get away with simple graphics and maybe even autogenerated levels you do have a chance.

A good example of this is Darwinia.

However, you cannot compete with traditional studios in a traditional way. You have to go guerilla style, making a point of not having a huge budget and staff. You must use the fact that you are an inde to your advantage.

One definite advantage of beeing a small independent developer is the fact that you don't have to be secret about what you are doing, you can start posting demos from day one! Another advantage is agility, a team of 4 persons can change much faster than a team of 50. In my oppinion this is the key to beating the big dinosaurs. Be agile!

That said, you still need talent and to put down some serious amount of time and effort.

Regards,
hObbE
-------T.W.T.P.B. stylized shoot 'em up game - Get it now while it's hot!
You could probabaly make a game that's the same or even better gameplay wise if your very lucky and find a good and dedicated team, but getting the game known would be almost impossible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement