c++, I got a function that returns a new pointer, is this bad?

Started by
14 comments, last by mikeman 18 years, 10 months ago
Returning a raw pointer is usually a bad idea because it's unclear who has responsibility for free the allocated memory (or even how to free it - delete, delete[], some sort of custom allocator).

It can be done safely as a private function for class implementation, seeing as the class it belongs to can take responsiblity for deallocation.
Advertisement
Personally I see nothing wrong in functions that return newly allocated objects, as long as they're clearly marked as such (typically with a large comment saying /* FACTORY METHOD */ or similar. But of course, as others point out, if you can return it in a safer form without compromising your design or performance, do that instead.
Quote:Original post by johnnyBravo
Thanks

...Too bad 'auto_ptr' doesn't work with arrays ;(

Well, conceptually, an auto_ptr<> of array is a vector<>...

Regards,
Quote:Original post by johnnyBravo
Quote:
Or, you could pass in an array and fill in each triangle (make sure to pass in an integer telling how many triangles in the array.)

I don't understand, do you mean have the function return one triangle at a time?

Triangle* Array = new Triangles[NUMBER_THAT_IS_NEEDED];

void SomeFunction(Array, NUMBER_THAT_IS_NEEDED);

delete [] Array;
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
Personally I see nothing wrong in functions that return newly allocated objects, as long as they're clearly marked as such (typically with a large comment saying /* FACTORY METHOD */ or similar. But of course, as others point out, if you can return it in a safer form without compromising your design or performance, do that instead.

*Nods* look up the Factory Pattern

If your function contract is clear, then there's no harm in returning a new object.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
In those kind of cases, I usually go for this:

void func(){int elementCount;TElement *element;elementCount=Object.GetElementCount();//get number of elementselement=new TElement[elementCount];//alloc memoryObject.GetElements(element);//fill in the array of elements...//Use elements here...delete[] element;}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement