I know C++...

Started by
23 comments, last by lordaine 18 years, 9 months ago
I know C++ and I want to be a game programmer so I'm guessing I have to learn Win32, right? If so, what do I learn after that? I want to learn something that I will use later on like Direct3D or OpenGL, but I'm not sure which is better to learn and which one more companies require you to know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Win32 is definitely a good step in the right direction. However most games will only use a small subset of Win32 functionality, mainly the WinMain() function and some sort of windows procedure function, commonly WndProc(). Once you get the main game loop out of Win32 you'll have all you really need for a lot of games. That's not to say you shouldn't learn all you can about Win32, as it does have a lot to give you, and it's always best to know more then not. As far as what API you should learn, a lot of pc and all xbox games are made with directX, but a lot of pc games are also made using OpenGL. They both are good to know, but as far as what companies look for is really up in the air. If a company is strictly Xbox then they will want DirectX more, but it's always good to know both. They will both get the job done, the only real difference being small syntactical ones. If you know the basics behind one, the other should come rather easily. Hope that helps, good luck.
Win32 is always good to have as background, look at:

- How to create windows
- Play a bit with the GDI (so you know how it works)
- Learn how windows uses messages
- Look a bit at multithreading
(The ppl that use C# would say some of the above is redundant)

I can recommend SDL as a next stepping stone. I don't think big companies use it, but it will give you the best experience in game programming in the least amount of time.

After that you can look into DirectX or OpenGL.

Hope that helps

[EDIT]Oh, and the forum FAQ is also a good place to start[/EDIT]
Try, try and fucking try again.
No, you don't have to learn Win32. I suggest you learn SDL and OpenGL (or, if you like OOP more than procedural programming, learn DX).
Thanks everyone. You have been a great help. I decide to learn Win32 and then learn DirectX and later I'll move on to OpenGL.

I have another question. What's the point of learning SDL? I know it's fast, but big companies don't use it and you don't benefit from it except if you make a game and start selling it.
Quote:Original post by Vladk10000
I have another question. What's the point of learning SDL? I know it's fast, but big companies don't use it and you don't benefit from it except if you make a game and start selling it.

There is no point... It is a waste of time really...

Bulma

Are you a big company?
Quote:Original post by Raduprv

Are you a big company?

I'm going to be one. :D
DirectX and later I'll move on to OpenGL.

Once you begin DirectX, any look at OpenGL will be one of disgust. ;)

</self fantatical bias>

Then learn C# and Java, big companies like those two languages :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement