Angels 20 Beta

Started by
8 comments, last by Sir Sapo 18 years, 9 months ago
Hey guys, I have been working on this game on and off for a couple months, and I decided to throw together a little demo version to upload the the Showcase. Anyways, I am interested in what people think about it, or if any one has any suggestions regarding gameplay. The game is a little rough around the edges, there is a lack of an ammo counter, no real menu, and some of the images are still placeholders (like the flak pueblo). Anyways, without further ado, Angels 20 Well, if anyone has any comments or questions, please post them here.
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
Advertisement
I love Wings of Fury and when this bad-boy started up, I was pumped. Then I lifted off and crashed and died within half a second. The second run was a little better, but I noticed that my fuel (assuming that's the bar on the far right) went from full to empty before I could even get to the first island. Are you just depleting the fuel per frame instead of using a timing solution? If so, I think my beast is sucking down the frames (and thusly the fuel) at a ridiculous rate. It's also really, really fast when I have my engines on, which leads me to believe you're using frame based movement instead of time based movement.

Wish I could play more, but it's hard to do much of anything when you're coasting across enemy territory praying nothing shoots at you. ;)
That sucks, I really need to fix that, but until then, was your VSync on? I have a pretty fast machine, and it runs at a reasonable speed for me.

EDIT: I uploaded a new version with a timer that only allows the game to be updated 60 times a second, its a sot of stopgap measure, but let me know if it fixes it.

[Edited by - Sir Sapo on June 24, 2005 11:06:59 AM]
Much better. =)

Fuel is still a little fast but I can atleast make it across the first island... assuming I'm not shot down. ;)

I'll definitely be watching the progress on this. Ratings++ for r0xx0rzness.
"This application has failed to start because GLAUX.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
Thanks for the kind words,

I haven't really put any time into figuring out what type of a rate the fuel should decrease at, so its probably a little fast, especially when you use the afterburner. Other little things haven't been balanced either, such as how much damage and accuracy a flak unit should have, and how to limit the players use of the guided missile, but we're working on it [grin].

By the way, what are the specs on your machine?
Might want to consider putting the terrain farther down, since right now the ocean takes up half of the screen and doesn't really do anything. Change from VTOL state to flight is still hard (although in fairness, the real harrier never handled that very well to begin with) The art has improved since the last release, and sadly the missile AI as well. Load times are still problematic, but this time it ran in fullscreen mode on my machine. All in all a good job, I like the clouds too.
"Think you Disco Duck, think!" Professor Farnsworth
Quote:"This application has failed to start because GLAUX.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

I think I fixed that, I just uploaded a new version.

Quote:
Might want to consider putting the terrain farther down, since right now the ocean takes up half of the screen and doesn't really do anything.

Yeah, I want more stuff to be on the screen at a time, and the water just takes up space.

Quote:

Change from VTOL state to flight is still hard (although in fairness, the real harrier never handled that very well to begin with) The art has improved since the last release, and sadly the missile AI as well.

Yeah, the VTOL flight transition is wierd because the flight model I came up with will have you stall at a certain speed, so when you transfer, you have 0 speed, so you stall. I'll tell my artist about the art comments, he is really good at using paint (thats all we have used so far).

Quote:I like the clouds too.

Yeah, thats one of my favorite parts, its amazing what a sufficiently bored person can do in Paint [grin].

Fun stuff, I liked the Comie Raper missile, keep up the good work.
Quote:Original post by Sir Sapo

I uploaded a new version with a timer that only allows the game to be updated 60 times a second, its a sot of stopgap measure, but let me know if it fixes it.

OK, turns out that the timer I used for that update didn't work, so I made another one that should.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement