• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SiliconMunky

Looking for some tips/constructive criticism. Version 1.12

This topic is 4721 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I've been working on a simple graphics demo for the last week or so and was looking for some advice on what I should work on next. EDIT: the new link is at the last post. or here ;) So far I've implemented - a simple batched rendering system for the meshes and few other engine components - a rigging system for moving objects like the camera and meshes on - simple heightmapped terrain - a skybox - a timer class - control of the camera in spaceship-mode I was planning on learning how to use shaders next, and was going to start with multitexturing the terrain. What do you all think? Edit: Oh and could you tell me how well it runs on your systems, and what kind of systems you guys have? Thanks. I've got an x800 pro, so everything runs smooth on my system, lol. :) [Edited by - SiliconMunky on July 16, 2005 8:26:48 AM]

Advertisement
Does not work in my system. (P4 6800GT 77.72)
Unfortunately there is no debug information. Maybe you can start doing/constructing a small debuging system.

Good luck.

Edit: The problem: it gets stuck when initializing the rendering context. It also block the mouse.

Hmmm very odd, you have the latest copy of the directx runtimes?
Does your monitor support 1280*1024*32bits @ 60 hertz?

I tihnk you're right about starting on a logging system, and capability testing.

Thanks for trying :)

Quote:
Original post by SiliconMunky
Hmmm very odd, you have the latest copy of the directx runtimes?
Does your monitor support 1280*1024*32bits @ 60 hertz?

I tihnk you're right about starting on a logging system, and capability testing.

Thanks for trying :)

YEp Im running:
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Quote:
Original post by BlackBox
YEp Im running:
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Ok that's just weird then, all my friends with a smiliar setup to yours aren't having any problems running it at all.

Anyone else?

It runs fine on my system. Nice work! I miss a fps counter though so I can get a rough idea how it performs. Camera movement was kind of slow also. Consider adding a directional light to the scene instead of just using ambient light. Good lighting can make a huge difference. The trees look kind of.. ugly :), there are lot of resources on the web on rendering trees.

Quote:
Original post by Opwiz
It runs fine on my system. Nice work! I miss a fps counter though so I can get a rough idea how it performs. Camera movement was kind of slow also. Consider adding a directional light to the scene instead of just using ambient light. Good lighting can make a huge difference. The trees look kind of.. ugly :), there are lot of resources on the web on rendering trees.

Thanks! Now that I've got the text system working I can easily put in the fps counter. The here actually is a directional light, but I'll try lowering the ambient a bit. The tree was the first mesh made by a fellow programmer, so you can expect it to be a bit ugly. I'll take a look for some better models online. :)

Quote:
Original post by DudeMiester
Worked well and smooth. Took a little while to load though for something so simple. (Athlon XP 2000, 768MB RAM, 6800GT)

Yeah, unfortunatly right now it calculates all the normals on load up, and there's something else that's taking forever to load too. It's on my list of things to look into.
I think I'll have to create a normal map that I can load in with my heightmap.

Good start, there is alot you could to add to this. Runs well on my 9700 pro.

Maybe some water? Animated wildlife? Perhase a moving sun (would change the lighting over time. Keep up the good work.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!