Looking for some tips/constructive criticism. Version 1.12

Started by
49 comments, last by MustEatYemen 18 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by Programmer16
Runs great on my system (other than when the readme is open.) How come there isn't a bottom to the skybox (the flickering hurt my eyes)?

I didn't bother putting a skybox on the bottom cause you "shouldn't" be able to see it normally. Though I suppose it'd better to just draw a black quad over it.

I'm curious what you mean by the flickering? I know I'm not clearing the frame buffer each frame because the terrain and skybox will be drawing over the previous frame anyways. Is something actually flickering? On my system it you simply see the contents of one of the previous frames.

I took a look at my init code and I'm initializing the device with D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD. I'm assuming that my drivers happened to use a new frame buffer uses the same memory as one of the previous frames. I'm curious, what video card do you have?

Thanks for the info. I'll throw a black quad on the bottom to clear up this issue.
Advertisement
Worked great. Nice and smooth all around.

PM 1.6ghz, 256mb 6800 GO
Ok I've updated some things.
Optomized the font system and added a particle system, as well as adding a black quad to the bottom to stop the "eye hurting flicker" :)

The particle system uses point sprites, so it won't run on some of the olders cards anymore.

check it out and let me know what you all think :)

Edit: new version below

Edit. thanks for all the help everyone, it's greatly appreciated. I'm going to start learning shaders soon I think, so then I'll need lots of help ;)

[Edited by - SiliconMunky on July 13, 2005 8:08:00 PM]
It would be nice if you didn't force the user to run at what works best for you (1280x1024, for example). Perhaps before you work on shaders and such, you might institute some more basic features such as configuration options (via a config file, or in-game options), and debugging. I would never have known that your demo wouldn't run on my system unless I saw your post that it required 1280x1024 resolution. My laptop has a Radeon 9600 Mobility chip and should run your demo fine, but the display only runs at 1024x768.
----------------Amusing quote deleted at request of owner
Tested your new one and it's still working great.
I see the plane got an upgrade too. =)

FPS counter and resolution options would be nice.
while not really important, but you can see the axis on the the corner by the building.

runs good on my system (amd64 3500+, x800pro)

[Edited by - ender_341 on July 5, 2005 12:09:23 AM]
-Matt S.
Quote:Original post by yakuza
Perhaps before you work on shaders and such, you might institute some more basic features such as configuration options (via a config file, or in-game options), and debugging.

You're right :) I should get the basics all fleshed out. Thanks. I'm adding debugging/logging now, and I'll start on the configuration next. It'll probably be simple, but should get the job done.

Thanks again,
Quote:Original post by Vaalean
FPS counter and resolution options would be nice.

Thanks! I'll add the FPS counter as soon as I'm done the configuration options.

Quote:Original post by ender_341
while not really important, but you can see the axis on the the corner by the building.

Yeah I normally leave the axis there when adding things, since it helps me keep track of where things should be on the screen.

After some busy days at school I finally finished implementing the requested changes. :)

Any thoughts?

Edit: new version below

[Edited by - SiliconMunky on July 13, 2005 8:00:04 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement