Looking for some tips/constructive criticism. Version 1.12

Started by
49 comments, last by MustEatYemen 18 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by SiliconMunky
After some busy days at school I finally finished implementing the requested changes. :)

Any thoughts?

It doesn't work :(
Specs: AMD Athlon 1.2GHz, 512MB memory, WinXP, Geforce3.

ErrorLog.log Log Created At: 07/13/05 15:02:46Attempting to initialize the GraphicsEngine - Line:65 - .\GraphicsEngine.cppError! Point size is limited! - Line:121 - .\GraphicsEngine.cppGraphicsEngine Unloaded - Line:52 - .\GraphicsEngine.cpp Log Closed: û

The string after 'Log closed' doesn't paste properly, as it apparently contains random garbage. It seems you're printing random memory there...

Tom
Advertisement
Just curious -- what method did you use to render all of the trees? Did you set their positions from each other into their local coordinates and then load them all to one vertex buffer?
Quote:Original post by dimebolt
It doesn't work :(
Specs: AMD Athlon 1.2GHz, 512MB memory, WinXP, Geforce3.

Log Closed: û

The string after 'Log closed' doesn't paste properly, as it apparently contains random garbage. It seems you're printing random memory there...

Tom

Thanks for trying it out Tom! Right now the demo doesn't support the GF3, since it appears that the GF3 doesn't support variable point sprite sizes. Sorry!

About the Log issue. For some reason when doing a my call to localtime is producing garbage data. Something is odd, since it works the first time I call it when the log is created, but not when it's closed.

I'll look into it, thanks!
Quote:Original post by kosmon_x
Just curious -- what method did you use to render all of the trees? Did you set their positions from each other into their local coordinates and then load them all to one vertex buffer?

At loadtime I randomely generate all the positions, then when I go to render them I create a transformation matrix for each tree and set that as the world matrix and then draw that mesh. I loop until all the tree's are drawn.

So to answer your question, no I don't load them all into one vertex buffer. I have one vertex buffer with the mesh data in model space and using that I draw each one into it's own position in world space.

I suppose it would be faster to put them all into one vertex buffer, since their positions are static, and just make one call to draw them. I'll keep that in mind for later.

Hope this helps!

An option to turn of the refresh rate limit would be great.
Quote:Original post by Vaalean
An option to turn of the refresh rate limit would be great.

Your wish is my command!

new version below or here

[Edited by - SiliconMunky on July 16, 2005 8:56:13 AM]
Quote:
Thanks for trying it out Tom! Right now the demo doesn't support the GF3, since it appears that the GF3 doesn't support variable point sprite sizes. Sorry!

I'll try it on my geforce6 then :)

Tom
Well I've made some more changes. I've added texture splatting to the terrain, as well as updating the particle system with some different blending methods.

ftp://drywatergames.sytes.net/ftproot/PAD1_12.zip
GForce4 MX on Athlong 2800 :(

ErrorLog.log Log Created At: 07/17/05 02:16:57
Attempting to initialize the GraphicsEngine - Line:68 - .\GraphicsEngine.cpp
Error! Point size is limited! - Line:144 - .\GraphicsEngine.cpp
GraphicsEngine Unloaded - Line:54 - .\GraphicsEngine.cpp
Log Closed: ±÷
That sucks, looks like the geforce4 mx's don't support variable size point sprites.

I suppose its time I post the requirements. DX9, PS1.4, and Variable point sprites. That pretty much means geforce 5200 or better, Radeon 9000 or better.

Thanks for trying.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement