Sign in to follow this  
bartiss

Tree problem

Hi I am working on a game that requires a large group of trees, so they must be as simple as possible and look ok ;-) Are two textured perpedicular planes (with Alpha) the only way? Billboards facing camera isn't an option, because I don't want them to look at me while flying over them. The game is arcade flight sim, so the trees doesn't need to have a lot of detail. They should look ok as a groups, both from distance and close. How do you do such things these days? :) Thanks in advance Bartiss

In the vast realm of trees, there are three primary ways: billboarding, criss-crossing planes, or actual models. If there are others, than I apologize -- my dabbling in the art of tree rendering isn't as fervant as it was years ago. ;)

Have you considered a combination of criss-crossing planes and models for your game? Certainly the former offers you the best rendering speed, due to its simplicity, but when your camera gets close to the trees rendering somesort of model would look the nicest. The only difficult part might be transitioning between the two smoothly. D'oh.

There is another way for doing trees in a flight sim. If you look at IL-2 Sturmovik, they render whole forests by building up layers of alpha blended textures (parallel to the ground). Each layer has a cross section of the trees on it (as looking from above), if you see what I mean. It looks great from above, but tends to look a bit naff when you're on the ground.

This diagram sort of shows you what I mean, where - is the transparent part of the texture, and the * is a cross-section of tree. This is the view from the side.

------*--------
---*******-----
--*********----
--*********----
--*********----