Direct Sound or OpenAL?

Started by
8 comments, last by Bulma 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi I am mainly programming the graphics in OpenGL. I used DInput for input, but now im looking into sound. I mainly just want to have music in the background and then sound effects. Multiple sfx could be played at same time. I was looking into direct sound but it looks to be complicated to do anything but wav files and even wav files seems to be a pain, plus i don't want to have 50 meg music files. I then found OpenAL for sound and well the basic are real simple and found it is very easy to get .ogg files to play also. Should I just go with OpenAL it seems much easier and I don't need anything special for sound I don't even need 3d sound but OpenAL makes it so easy I might just use it anyway. Just figured I would see if anyone had any specific thoughts as why I should use Direct Sound instead -THACO
Advertisement
fmod is the best, IMO. It was also the engine used in World of Warcraft.
I second smr's recommendation. Fmod has all of the goodies you'll need, as well as ogg vorbis capabilities. Heck, even if WoW used DirectSound I'd still go with Fmod. :P
Maybe it is not very important, but note that Fmod is not free...
Bulma
Quote:Original post by THACO
Just figured I would see if anyone had any specific thoughts as why I should use Direct Sound instead

Nope, not a single one [smile] The only way I would suggest DirectSound over OpenAL is if OpenAL's license changed to GPL [wink]
What if you are using Managed DirectX?
Quote:Original post by Bulma
Maybe it is not very important, but note that Fmod is not free...

It is if you're not using it in a commercial product.

from their site:
"Yes that's right, if your product is not intended to make any money, and is not charged for in any way, then you may use FMOD in it for FREE!"

FMod Licensing Information

Quote:Original post by Daniel Miller

I was able to find this information about using it under .NET. It's about a Managed front-end to FMod, I believe...
http://www.fmod.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2585

Somebody wrote up a Managed sample for FMod
http://www.fmod.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3534&highlight=managed

Hope this helps.
Quote:Original post by Daniel Miller

I haven`t use neither OpenAL or Fmod, but Direct Sound in MDX looks pretty simple, even for 3D sound...
Bulma
I did do some reserach into FMOD while at work. Looks really great, and if anything I would probably use the $100 mini license. I still have to look at code and tutorials, but looks promising.
As for manage directX I must be behind the times with my directx. What is managed, I see it in the tutorial browser for the sdk. Call me stupid, but I just figured you had to manage the make file and other stuff on your own. Im at work so can't look into manage much, but when I get home Ill look at the code. But what is managed then? Thanks for answering this newbie question

-THACO
Managed DirectX is port/wrapper, call it whatever you like, for using directx in .NET (c#, VB#, etc...). If you code in C/C++ it is not for you... [wink]
Bulma

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement