OpenGL 2.0 Nvidia

Started by
9 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 18 years, 9 months ago
The new drivers released yesterday has full support for OpenGL 2.0. WTF I can't find the new updated headers (glu.h and glext.h) for 2.0 with the declarations. In the 2.0 support paper that was also released said that you can get those new headers from Nvidia's developer site but they can't be found. Does anyone out there already have these headers or know were I can get them?
Advertisement
You can always get them ,here

J
No there are suppose to be new versions of gl.h and glext (I meant to say gl.h not glu.h from my first post) that have OpenGL 2.0 API declarations in them. That link only takes me to a page where I can get the old glext.h, wglext.h, etc.

Unless I am missing something those are not 2.0 headers.
Definitions for all version of opengl extensions are in there. Scroll down the list in "glext.h". See 1.3, 1.4, 2.0? It's all there as far as I can see.

gl.h hasn't changed in a very long time to the best of my knowledge, especially on Windows. Everything since 1.1 or 1.2 (correct me if I am wrong) has been implemented in extension form in glext.h.

This file's date is 6/20/2005, so Im sure this is the latest.

J
Ok I see what you mean. I didn't look in the file before. I thought you could use the 2.0 functions without having to use extensions? So we still have to get pointers to the functions in order to use them?

According to the Nvidia support paper there is suppose to be a new 2.0 gl.h as well.
Quote:
Ok I see what you mean. I didn't look in the file. I thought you could use the 2.0 functions without having to use extensions? So we still have to get pointers to the functions in order to use them?

Yes, I beleive they are used like all the other extensions. For ease of use, use GLEE it sets up extensions automatically. You don't even have to initialize it. It has full OGL 2.0 support.

Good coding

J
So the only difference between 2.0 and 1.5 (from the point of view we are talking about) is that we drop the ARB on the extension function names? If we still have to get the functions our selves what is the point?

Thanks for the replies.
All functionality not considered part of the "core" opengl or vendor specific extensions are implemented as before. OGL 2.0 doesn't change that. You still have to set them up like you did before. The author of "The OpenGL Shading Language" book (and one of the key people driving OpenGL's specs and extensions) explains the reasoning behind the "extension" mindset for the evolution of OpenGL, but I am at work and don't have it in front of me. Pick it up, its a great read.
I get what you mean but it says in the paper that GLSL has been added to the OpenGL core. Even though I have 2.0 support now I can't use GLSL without extensions even though it says it is now part of the core.
"Core" is sort of a misnomer. Implying to you I guess that it should be part of "opengl32.lib" and "gl.h" and just called like the good old immediate mode functions like glVertex3f(...) without having to set anything up.

Multi-texturing, height baed fog effects, VBOs, CVAs, etc. are part of the "core", but are still only available through extension handles existing in "glext.h" and implemented in your video card's drivers.

Seriously though, I recommend that you take a look at GLEE. It makes life a lot easier. You still have a little setup, but a lot less. Also you might look at GLEW another opengl extension wrangler.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement