how to start to write a RTS game?

Started by
2 comments, last by zhang_zhou 23 years, 4 months ago
hi,guy! I want to write a small RTS game,but how can I start it? in other word,how should I layout it? Can you give me some advise and tutorial for it? Any help will be much thankful!!
============================= Hey,I just wanna know WHY! =============================
Advertisement
Examine current RTS games. Figure out what you think makes them great. Think up new, creative ideas. Then, hammer out a storyboard. Start planning the game dynamics. Think up different units. Gradually get more and more specific, until your at the code level. then just code away.

Bottom line: Think of your own ideas. It''ll make your games much better.

"When i was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse, out of
the corner of my mind. I turned to look, but it was
gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child has
grown, the dream has gone." -Pink Floyd
"When i was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse, out ofthe corner of my mind. I turned to look, but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child hasgrown, the dream has gone." -Pink Floyd
If you''re already familiar with programming using DirectX, then I receommend buying the book ''Real Time Strategy Game Programming Using DirectX 6.0''. You can buy it at Amazon.com. If you''re not familiar with any game programming, then I recommend the book ''Windows Game Programming for Dummies'' by Andre Lamothe. There are also lots of articles here at gamedev.net and a few over at www.gamedeveloper.net

Hope this helped.
--------------------Help Needed!Turn-based 20th century strategy wargameTitle still to be determined
do not write a story, name the units, or do anything like that until after you have designed most of the units. Start by identifying what kind of units exist. For example: melee(hand to hand fighter, tough), ranged(ranged fighter, weak), strike troops(hand to hand, fast and weak) skirmish(ranged, fast, weak), short ranged artillary(short range, hurts multiple foes) long range artillary(long range, hurts multiple foes) and so on. Then determine which units beat which. So ranged beat short range artillary, short range art. beat melee, melee beat ranged. Then make all the units.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement