Netflix-DVDs GameDev-Programming Books?

Started by
17 comments, last by intrest86 18 years, 9 months ago
This is just an idea that randomly occured to me, I'm really not sure if it would have much value to anyone or not. The general idea is that local libraries or even local bookstores generally do not have a large stock of Game Development or Programming books. The general solution to this seems to be that you find it online and buy it there. Not until you get the book will you know if the $40+ was worth it, and if the book is the kind you want to keep on your shelf. So what if GameDev had a "Library" where members could "Check Out" books just like on NetFlix? For some fee, the book gets shipped out to you, and when you are done you ship it back. It could be an add on service(with extra fee) to the memberships, say a checkout a month. Any merit in this?
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
Advertisement
Programming books are heavy.
Quote:Original post by Boder
Programming books are heavy.

Right, but if you have to buy the books online anyway you are already paying for shipping, aren't you? And I don't remember the shipping being that expensive, either.
why not GDNet just make them e-books and allow you to access them if you have a GDNet+ account? read not (copy or download).

addendum: taking that a step further, allow members to access maybe 2 or 3 books at a time, for maybe a month or two. just like a real library.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

It could be a very powerful feature, but I'd imagine that the legal issues in doing something like this would be a minefield - let alone the amount of work the staff would have to do just to get the various publishers to consider the idea [smile]

Cheers,
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
why not GDNet just make them e-books and allow you to access them if you have a GDNet+ account? read not (copy or download).

addendum: taking that a step further, allow members to access maybe 2 or 3 books at a time, for maybe a month or two. just like a real library.

Right, I consider that. Like Jack said, e-books would be a really hard thing to regulate. At least while it is on paper the publishers can be nearly positive that no sort of copying is going on, but we all know how to copy something that is digital.

Just as another idea, people could add their own book collections to the "Library", and act as distribution centers. That way those who have already bought these books could also benifit and help out by getting them off the shelf, dusting them off, and letting someone else use it. It also helps overcome a lot of the problems of long distance shipping, especially international assuming that there are many GDNetters in your country).

Edit - Unless Jack was talking to me? In which case, as long as there is only one copy I'm pretty sure you can do whatever the heck you want with it. Lend it, sell it, line your hamster cage with it.
Quote:Original post by intrest86

Right, I consider that. Like Jack said, e-books would be a really hard thing to regulate. At least while it is on paper the publishers can be nearly positive that no sort of copying is going on, but we all know how to copy something that is digital.

Just as another idea, people could add their own book collections to the "Library", and act as distribution centers. That way those who have already bought these books could also benifit and help out by getting them off the shelf, dusting them off, and letting someone else use it. It also helps overcome a lot of the problems of long distance shipping, especially international assuming that there are many GDNetters in your country).

Edit - Unless Jack was talking to me? In which case, as long as there is only one copy I'm pretty sure you can do whatever the heck you want with it. Lend it, sell it, line your hamster cage with it.

actually, google lets you read e-books and there's NO copying allowed. well unless you hit print screen everytime you go to a new page. but if you're willing to do that, then you're willing to take an actual book and scan every page in it anyway. so either way a publisher would be taking a big risk.

Quote:Original post by intrest86

actually, google lets you read e-books and there's NO copying allowed. well unless you hit print screen everytime you go to a new page. but if you're willing to do that, then you're willing to take an actual book and scan every page in it anyway. so either way a publisher would be taking a big risk.

Wait, whats this? Have a link?? Sounds interesting, and if true, you would be right about it being a better way.
See the books at Google

I think this is a cool idea. The thing with Google's print books though, is that you can't read any page at any time like a regular eBook, at least from what i've seen. You're limited to only a few pages. Would be a large amount of work, but would be a great service here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement