How on earth do you write a covering letter for an IT job?

Started by
9 comments, last by GroZZleR 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I want to write a covering letter in reply to this job posting.
Quote:Graduate Java/C++ Developer Global Company Permanent Position Great Career Opportunities Our client are a global telecommunications company. Due to substantial growth in the company, and growing demand from there clients, they are seeking to take on 2 Graduate Java Developers. We are seeking the cream of the crop. Our ideal candidate will haven graduated in the top percentile of there course, and will have fantastic written and verbal communcation skills.
Except I've never written on before, and I don't really know how to write a covering letter in response to this job ad. Like how would I say to them that I've got a diploma of i.t. that im interested in getting a degree in computer science in the future. Also with a college project, which i am going to post a link to them, i did some fairly 'high' quality work, involving j2ee and servlets. Thats some of the stuff I want to say to them, but i don't know how to structure it. Thankjs
Advertisement
DO NOT try something like:
So i was liek browsing to this site and just saw ur ad. I think was cool so maybe i can apply to ur positin. I am really 1337, graduated in the top 10, so maybe u can give me a chance or so.

Actually, write something like:
Hello
My name is [...] and I am a graduate from [...]. I just noticed your ad in [...] and I believe I qualify for this job.
Attached is my resume.
Thank you,
name
Quote:Our ideal candidate will haven graduated in the top percentile of there (sic) course, and will have fantastic written and verbal communcation skills, since we badly need them.

Ad corrected.

Seems much unprofessionnal to me, I wouldn't even apply.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
thanks Radupr
Quote:Original post by xMcBaiNx
Quote:Our ideal candidate will haven graduated in the top percentile of there (sic) course, and will have fantastic written and verbal communcation skills, since we badly need them.

Ad corrected.

Seems much unprofessionnal to me, I wouldn't even apply.

hey its the only recent ad who want graduates in java and c++, exactly what i want :) So if it is not so proffesional hopefully they will be more likely to hire me!

I need to get a 'proper' job sometime.
Well, here is an example of a cover letter I was using, with some success, prior to deciding to start my own business.

Hope it helps...

Quote:
To whom it may concern,

Please consider my resume for the position <some position>. My name is <Name>, and I have been employed as an Information Security Analyst & Consultant for <Some Company> Inc, a <some city, some province> based Information Security firm, since 2002. Previously, I was self-employed as a software developer & e-commerce solution provider with a strong focus on providing secure alternatives to existing services.

Since selecting Information Security as the primary focus of my career I have achieved a number of accomplishments, including acquisition of the CISSP certification, assisting with the design and implementation of a network monitoring solution which is currently used to monitor wide area networks with up to 10,000 users. Prior to my employment with <Some Company> I worked with <another developer> designing and implementing <software>, a software package with features critical to network forensics.

In the course of my employment with <Some Company> I have planned and executed code audits for applications ranging from basic authentication mechanisms to full enterprise portals and e-commerce services in languages including Java, C#, Visual Basic, Perl, and PHP. Through the course of these code audits I was responsible for designing the methodology used, and directing additional technical resources throughout execution of the projects.

I have also been a key member of the operational readiness team responsible for execution of duties related to <Some Company>' Managed Security Services offering, including network monitoring, incident response, and forensic analysis. Throughout the course of my employment with <Some Company> I have executed many vulnerability assessments in a range of fields including health care, financial, insurance, government, and industrial environments for networks ranging from SOHO LANs to international WANs.

Since December of 2004 I have also been responsible for instructing components of the <training course> security program offered by <some university>. The courses I instruct are Introduction to Network Security, and VoIP & Telephony Security. Responsibilities related to these courses including updating and maintenance of course materials, teaching, and marking of assignments and exams.

Although I was employed as an Information Security Analyst with <Some Company> Inc until May, 2005, circumstances dictate that I relocate to Vancouver during the month of June. I can provide references upon your request.

Although I currently reside in <some city> I can relocate to Vancouver immediately if offered the position. I look forward to hearing from you.
Quote:Original post by ChaoticCanuck
Well, here is an example of a cover letter I was using, with some success, prior to deciding to start my own business.

Hope it helps...

Quote:
To whom it may concern,

Please consider my resume for the position <some position>. My name is <Name>, and I have been employed as an Information Security Analyst & Consultant for <Some Company> Inc, a <some city, some province> based Information Security firm, since 2002. Previously, I was self-employed as a software developer & e-commerce solution provider with a strong focus on providing secure alternatives to existing services.

Since selecting Information Security as the primary focus of my career I have achieved a number of accomplishments, including acquisition of the CISSP certification, assisting with the design and implementation of a network monitoring solution which is currently used to monitor wide area networks with up to 10,000 users. Prior to my employment with <Some Company> I worked with <another developer> designing and implementing <software>, a software package with features critical to network forensics.

In the course of my employment with <Some Company> I have planned and executed code audits for applications ranging from basic authentication mechanisms to full enterprise portals and e-commerce services in languages including Java, C#, Visual Basic, Perl, and PHP. Through the course of these code audits I was responsible for designing the methodology used, and directing additional technical resources throughout execution of the projects.

I have also been a key member of the operational readiness team responsible for execution of duties related to <Some Company>' Managed Security Services offering, including network monitoring, incident response, and forensic analysis. Throughout the course of my employment with <Some Company> I have executed many vulnerability assessments in a range of fields including health care, financial, insurance, government, and industrial environments for networks ranging from SOHO LANs to international WANs.

Since December of 2004 I have also been responsible for instructing components of the <training course> security program offered by <some university>. The courses I instruct are Introduction to Network Security, and VoIP & Telephony Security. Responsibilities related to these courses including updating and maintenance of course materials, teaching, and marking of assignments and exams.

Although I was employed as an Information Security Analyst with <Some Company> Inc until May, 2005, circumstances dictate that I relocate to Vancouver during the month of June. I can provide references upon your request.

Although I currently reside in <some city> I can relocate to Vancouver immediately if offered the position. I look forward to hearing from you.

Finding the name of the head of HR and putting it in place of the "To whom it may concern" might also give you additionnal points.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
The cover letter should be an introduction to who you are, and a general overview of your skills. It should contain the things that you cannot put into an itemized resume, like :Why you want the job. The general gist of why you are right for the job. Relevent accomplishmnets that illustrate your competancy in the field.

It should directly address the concerns that are directly addressed in the job ad. If the job says "We want top percentile graduates" then you need to have "I earned a GPA of 3.9 in relevant coursework." or whatever is actually true.

The do look to see if their concerns are addressed.
Every Cover Letter should be customized for the position you are applying. If you Google it you will find allot of examples of good cover letters. Do not re-use the same one over and over. Make sure that it refers to job and you skills for the job. Also, it helps if you can find out company name and even name of the person (like HR). It's far better to address like: 'Dear Mr. Bigshot:' rather then 'To Whom It May Concern:'
"Due to substantial growth in the company, and growing demand from THERE clients, they are seeking to take on 2 Graduate Java Developers.

We are seeking the cream of the crop."

I doubt the company is extremely reputable and worth working for if their job hiring department can't spell "their." I recommend you look elsewhere, g.
masterghttp:/masterg.andyc.org
You have no idea how bad HR people are at spelling...

Ever wonder why you see so many web pages that have messed up bullet-characters? They COPY/PASTED from Microsoft Word JUST so they could use the spell-checker.

When was the last time YOU used a spell checker?

Ever think you should learn how to spell the words and use grammar properly in the first place rather than "right click" "fix it for me, Microsoft Word"???

I don't even care. People who didn't learn this stuff properly in high school won't learn later in life.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement