• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ozz

Shadow Tutorial Speed

This topic is 6590 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering what FPS other people are getting out of NeHes'' shadow tutorial, I`m only getting about 4fps on a: - P3-600 - 128mb RAM - 32MB TNT2 (Latest Drivers)

Advertisement
quite often shadow stuff requires a stencilbuffer. and the tnt2 only has a hardware accelerated stencil in 32bit colour. with 16bit u get software

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

Ozz:

Make sure, if you are running it in a window, that your desktop is set to 32bit color, or it will run slow. I assume it kick it back to software rendering like Zedzeek said. I tested it on my son''s computer ( AMD K6-2 300, 64MB EDO, 16MB TNT ) and it ran decently.

Take Care,

Nyko

Ah, don''t know why I didn''t realise this sooner!

I listed at the bottom of the tutorial that it didn''t seem to work in windowed mode on my TNT2.

For some unknown bloody reason, I had set my desktop to 16-bit recently (which I never do). Now that I have it at 32-bit, windowed mode works

I''ll let Jeff know, and he can amend the end of the tutorial.

~~~
Cheers!
Brett Porter
PortaLib3D : A portable 3D game/demo libary for OpenGL
http://www.geocities.com/brettporter/programming

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!