Free Simple C++ Memory Debugging Tools

Started by
17 comments, last by zedzeek 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi All I am having some memory allocation and deallocation problem. its seems I am trying to delete an already deleted pointer. I searched the code and could not figure out what is going on. is there some free and simple tool that would help in figuring out what is going on with my program. I googled the web and there is allot about memory tools. some is commercial and some is free but huge and difficult to integrate in VC++. is there some light tool that can be easily integrated to a VC++ project and trace memory operations. thanks for help, appreciate your time.
Advertisement
The vs.net runtime has some great crt debugging api's do an msdn search for CrtDumpMemoryLeaks.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
Quote:Original post by chollida1
The vs.net runtime has some great crt debugging api's do an msdn search for CrtDumpMemoryLeaks.

Cheers
Chris

I agree, and it's also quite easy to use.

More competent, but also much harder to use is UMDH. It's a free tool from Microsoft that makes use of OS functionality for heap tracking.

http://weblogs.asp.net/mdavey/archive/2004/03/09/86569.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/isapi/gosupport.asp?TARGET=/?kbid=268343

Related to this I'd suggest looking at PageHeap. It's another free tool from Microsoft, used to find invalid access to memory (double free, out-of-bound access to allocated memory etc.)

Also worth looking at is oh.exe, which is used to track handle leaks (events, sockets, mutexes, sockets etc.). http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/oh-o.asp
You could also use MMGR from
here
Quote:Original post by Cocalus
You could also use MMGR from
here

I use that too.
my_life:          nop          jmp my_life
[ Keep track of your TDD cycle using "The Death Star" ] [ Verge Video Editor Support Forums ] [ Principles of Verg-o-nomics ] [ "t00t-orials" ]
I am gonna try it but it says it is used to detect memory leaks. I think my problem is that I am attempting to deallocate an already freed memory. does this tool (and the msdn method) detect that ?
Try to get in the habit of setting free'd/deleted memory to null when your done. This way you'll get an exception/crash due to a null pointer dereference when you try to delete it a second time.

THis makes it dirt simple to find double free/deletes.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
You'll get an exception when you try to dereference your null pointer, not when you try to delete it a second time. Calling delete or free() on a null pointer has no effect.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Oh shoot, sorry good catch. I missed typed. I meant when you try to dereference it:)

Thanks Martee, my face is red
Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
Quote:Original post by silvia_steven_2000
I am gonna try it but it says it is used to detect memory leaks. I think my problem is that I am attempting to deallocate an already freed memory. does this tool (and the msdn method) detect that ?

Yes, the CRT memory debugging stuff can help detect double-deletion if you set the right flags. Look for _CrtSetDbgFlag() in the MSDN documentation. If you set checks to maximum things will run kind of slowly but you should catch your bug pretty easily.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement