Sign in to follow this  
MPV

How can I put a image with some parts transparent?

MPV    122
I'm trying to make a 2D game with DirectX 9. I'm puting the images that I want to use in one surface using the function D3DXLoadSurfaceFromFile() and placing then in a surface created with CreateOffscreenPlainSurface(), but I have a problem, I can´t put the images with some parts transparent! I already try created one image in black and white (white is what I want to appear and black is what I want to became transparent), but I don´t know how to aply it! I also tryed creating a .dds image and in the program (DirectX Texture Tool) it worked! But when I used the function D3DXLoadSurfaceFromFile() to open it, the image was the same, it didn't made it transparent! Could someone tell me what functions I need to use or what to do! I already searched on the net, but I didn't find. Tks

NexusOne    100
I'm not sure I'm the person to answer this question, as I haven't done 2D in DirectX, only 3D; and I've only used Managed DirectX; and I don't really know C++, BUT:
you definitely need to make an image object from your texture, go over each pixel and change it to have alpha 0 if it's a black pixel. Then you need to enable alpha-test in DX and use the alpha function to say if alpha is 0, don't render.

SSJCORY    100
sounds right from the different alpha filtering techniques that i've used but i havent used dx before so i dont know the exact way.
-Cory

Pelikaruga    142
The loadfromfile functions should have one parameter that defines the colorkey, the color that is transparent. Provide it with D3DCOLOR_XRGB( 0, 0, 0, 0 ).