Sign in to follow this  
Ketchaval

Thriller techniques?

You have finally found the serial killer that you have been hunting down. But he knows about you and is holding a knife to your cop partner / wife's throat. Your weapon is too inaccurate to guarantee a clean shot, what do you do? Why does this work in a novel? Would this work in a game? If not, what reasons are there for it not being as effective? How can we get round these issues and make it work?

I think the difference is that in a novel, the write has only one outcome and is basing his/her story around that one outcome. Ina game, you need to make the choice actually matter to the story, or there is really no difference if my cop partner dies or not, is there?

It needs to have real meaning so I actually have to be scared of taking the shot and missing. "Game Over" isn't enough of an incentive because I'll just load my last save game and try again...

Hmm, some sort of "police series" game where you can't permanently die, but there is no reloading either, and the story goes on with new case(s), new partner(s) etc.? The more you'd get people around you killed, the more reclusive, grim-looking & possibly alcoholic your character would become? On the other hand, a long-time partner would work more effectively with you (similar to how in Cannon Fodder long time teammates got promoted)

[Edited by - AgentC on June 27, 2005 7:29:05 PM]

This idea feels heavily 80's though. People with BIG hair you know. I have to confess that I did see a dream involving "murder she wrote"-Fletcher AND Sledge Hammer (from the 80's tv series...) once. It started in a hotell with some 80's dramaturgy and slowly evolved into X-COM thriller involving aliens and shooting the prementioned aliens between the eyes with 44 magnum, god bless. I thought it was brilliant.