Sign in to follow this  
Gink

Online jobs

How hard is it to get a job as an online coder? The only site I found was rentacoder.com, are there any more sites? If anyone has tried it, is it common to make more money as an online coder than working for a company.

I definitely have never made more money as an online coder than as a contractor. I guess one of the main factors with a world-wide Internet audience is that we'll be competing with people in countries where pounds and dollars go a long way.

Quote:
Original post by Gink
How hard is it to get a job as an online coder? The only site I found was rentacoder.com, are there any more sites? If anyone has tried it, is it common to make more money as an online coder than working for a company.
I'd seriously think about improving your programming first buddy. Not to be mean or anything, but if you're tripped up by simple things like array bounds then you don't want to get involved with clients (unless it's a really well defined project, and you know that you can do it).

Just my 2¢. I've never done any jobs on sites like that, so I may be wrong...

Quote:
Original post by Gink
The only site I found was rentacoder.com, are there any more sites? If anyone has tried it, is it common to make more money as an online coder than working for a company.

It's common to make much less as an online coder. Projects posted on sites like Rent-a-coder are accepted for ridiculously low prices.
So if you want to get rich, go the corporate way (and don't become a programmer [wink]).

Interesting thread ...

Is there anyone that have ever earned some money from online projects? I'm in sweden and just wonder if there is some serious site where one can find such projects and ofcourse the site where one can trust that ppl will pay?