Sign in to follow this  
escudo825

[java] where can I download the necessary java 1.4.1 stuff?

darklordsatan    258
You should be aware that the latest version of java is the 1.5 update 4, so the 1.4.1 you say is no longer supported by Sun since a long time ago, maybe you didnt know what the latest version was, didnt you?

Anyway, here are the links
The SDK and runtime environment, required to make/run Java based applications - JDK 5.0 Update 4 (56.71 MB)
The documentation - J2SE 5.0 Documentation (43.52 MB)
The Java tutorial, very handy for beginners (14.8 MB)

Notice theres also a bundled Java SDK with NetBeans, an IDE, just in case you need one because you either dont have one currently, or dont like coding in notepad (for example)
NetBeans IDE + JDK 5.0 Update 4 (118.28 MB)
Its Java based, so yeah, might be slow on some machines...

If you're wondering about the "weird" version numbering, heres what the Release Notes state
Quote:

The full internal version number for this update release is 1.5.0_04-b05 (where "b" means "build"). The external version number is 5.0u4.

cheers, and good luck in your Java journey, if this is the beginning for you

escudo825    128
those are big downloads!!! :( I only have dial-up. and my 56k is being stupid and running at 28.8k. I'll get them when I can though.

P.S. I've been programming for a while. I have programmed pascal for 2 years and Java (1.2.2) for half a year. so it's the start of any game programming but I'm still not a n00b.(at least I don't consider myself one)

OrangyTang    1298
If you don't mind forking over a few quid, most Java programming books have a CD with the SDK and an IDE or two on them. Somewhat less painful than dial-up I'd have thought.

CaptainJester    523
Get a download manager. You can set it to download and then hang up when it is done. This way you could set it to download when you go to bed, so the phone line is only tied up while you are sleeping and it is only connected as long as it needs to. Also if the download is interrupted, you can resume it.

GetRight is a good one.

http://www.getright.com/