How to make a 3D Animated Wallpaper?

Started by
4 comments, last by Wan 18 years, 9 months ago
hi, i am n00b. i had just finished installing Visual Studio .NET 2003, and would like to know how to render simple object such as spinning cube, onto the desktop directly. it would be something like InterVideo WinDVD's Video Desktop, or those 3D Animated Wallpaper that is lying around on the internet. I am planning to code it in OpenGL using C++. Compatibilty is very important to me, as i don't want users to install the .NET framework or WinXP, just to get the software to work. Anyone able to give any hints? Thanks~ ^^ [Edited by - Peter Gwee on June 30, 2005 3:02:28 AM]
Advertisement
As for as I know, the easiest way to do it is using the Windows Active Desktop. So you just create a website with a Java/ActiveX/Shockwave/Flash/etc. control on it that views the 3D content.

Ór you can write a Windows shell replacement(use google on that), but that's a lot more work.
[www.LifeIsDigital.net - My open source projects and articles.
im not 100% sure (also a noob) but i think if you would just take the cube in a simple animator program spin it around a few timestell the animation to loop and save it as a gif. (you can search the internet for properties plus its very helpfull it allows you to change a file type to any other file type on your cpu) and then look at the gif in a fax viewer or something like that right click set as backround and fineto!!! instant 3d backround. (not sure like i said im also a total noob but i did some stick animation this way)
thanks for the reply. ^^
i have actually thought of using the two method your proposed. its a simple solution. but if i am not wrong, those are not the proper way of doing it. i have tried both way, but the result is very processor intensive.

I have done a little search on Shell Replacement thingy. Looks pretty good. but is this the way most Animated Wallpaper does? In WinDVD, simply select Video Desktop, and we can get a motion picture desktop.

I am actually just looking for a simple function in OpenGL that render its overlay on the desktop, behind all icons, taskbars, context menus and stuffs. Or am i wrong, that there is really no such simple solution?
As far as I remember, that windows desktop is like most windows objects. You need to get the handle of the window (being the desktop) and paint directly onto it's DC.
I may be wrong though.
Quote:Original post by MotionCoil
As far as I remember, that windows desktop is like most windows objects. You need to get the handle of the window (being the desktop) and paint directly onto it's DC.
I may be wrong though.

No, you are correct.

The problem however (I tried this years ago) is that the desktop window contains a gridview containing all the icons. The trick is to render the background but leave the shortcuts visible.
I managed to do it in the end, but it's a real hassle. Things got screwed up rather quickly (system slowed down, windows weren't updated properly, had to handle all the paint window messages, stuff like that).

But it's possible.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement