Sign in to follow this  
cptrnet

Scaling Question

cptrnet    169
Can you scale a single vertex? I have one point on the screen that is rendering. Can I scale that point? I have some scaling code but I don't know if it works or not.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I would look into point sprites for this.

cptrnet    169
What is a point sprite? All I want to know is if you can scale just a single point. I am working on a collision class and I want to start from points. I need to know if you can scale it so it would accurately test for collision.

matches81    474
erm.... what is a scaled point supposed to be? A point has a size of 0 (as far as I know), so even after scaling it would have a size of 0. The only thing scaling a point would do is move the point away from the origin of your world.... but only if you scale it after transforming it to it´s position.

cptrnet    169
You know a vertex (point) has a size of one pixel. It renders on the screen as one pixel. I render it with a PointList. The scale by default is 1.

Supernat02    604
Point Sprites (google has plentiful information, look up "directx point sprite tutorial") are typically what point lists are used for. They can be scaled. You would specify D3DFVF_PSIZE in your FVF structure. You can then size the point based on your current viewport settings. However, there is usually a max size that can be checked with the D3DCAPS or D3DCAPS2 structure. Once you've read up on them and done some tutorials, I think they might interest you. It just depends on how you do your collision detection.

Chris